Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You meet a homeless person on the street. Do you give them money? Why?

I was looking for a journal prompt and this was one that jumped out at me.  I am curious to know all of your thoughts on the subject.  Me, personally, I usually don't give money to the person on the street.  However, I do donate to homeless shelters, battered women shelters and food banks.  I believe that by donating to these organizations that have the tools to provide help for the homeless that I am doing more good than simply giving the homeless person money.  I have heard of people walking the homeless person with them to get something to eat, but I am just too shy and I have never done this.
Those are my thoughts. . . . what are yours?

2 comments:

Jenna Lee said...

I agree with you, I wouldn't give them money because i believe there are better organizations that can help them, rather then me just giving them money.
Plus, Dad read my in his freakanomics book that some homeless people are making like 60g's a year and that sometimes people pretend to be homeless... anyway thats random.

Anonymous said...

As I was in the mall early one morning, going to my friend Dr, B.,a native man asked me for money. Safeway was open so I said that I would buy him food for his breakfast. What do you think he bought? A Quart of Milk, a small container of orange juice, and a box of strawberries. I was very humbled and knew again that 'Nobody made me the judge'.