Wednesday, October 27, 2010

100 Years

100 years ago a woman who impacted my life greatly was born.  Her name was Nellie Blanche Dodson.  She was not born into luxury or wealth, but she became one of the most influential women in my life.  She was my Great-Grandmother and as the oldest Great-Grandchild, I got to know her really well.  She was a really private person, so she didn't really share many details about her life publicly with people.  She had 4 children, was a nurse and was a great example of strength to me.
To me she was Nana.
To me she was MY Nana.
To me she was the woman who was always telling me that I needed to pull my hair back and get it out of my face.  She was the woman who called me out on things when she thought I was being rotten to my parents.  She was the woman who had endured some tough trials, but didn't complain about them.  She was strong.  She made choices and stuck through the consequences.  She endured and she learned.
I remember her telling me that she loved my singing.  I remember her telling me that my parents worked me too hard.  I remember visiting her with my many boyfriends in high school and having her grill the heck out of them.  I remember that she did whatever it took for her to come and see me get married.  I remember our visits after my doctor's appointments.  I remember watching her grow older and feeling helpless watching her lose strength in her body.  I remember how straightforward she used to be no matter what the cost.  I remember her counting my contractions with me when I was in labour with Abby.  I remember her love of gardening, flowers, birds and squirrels.  I remember how she always seemed to have a bird that liked to live outside of her window.  I remember helping to take care of her when she got weak.  I remember staying in the hospice with her on the night of her grandson's funeral so that she would have someone by her side while everyone else went to his funeral.
That night, I remember talking to her because I was pregnant with Anne and no one wanted to tell her because they all knew that she would be mad.  Somehow the old girl found out and it wasn't long before she said to me, "I hear that you're pregnant again.  I can't say that I am happy about it."  (Abby was less than 4 months old) So I told her, "Yep, you're right, I am. . . . and I'm going to name her after you."  Well, that really set her off.  In her old Nana stern voice she replied, "What!?!?!?  Why would you curse your child with a horrible name like that?"  So I told her, "Well, because I wanted to name her after you because I love you."  She thought that wasn't good enough and kept on telling me so. . . . so I finally told her "Well, you will probably be dead by the time she is born, so there isn't really anything you can do about it."  And then I saw the glimmer in her eyes telling me that she loved that response.  So finally we agreed that I could use the name Nellie, but that I couldn't give her the middle name Blanche. . . . and I couldn't actually CALL her Nellie, I would have to call her by her middle name. . . . thus my daughter is named Nellie Anne Comin, but she goes by Anne.
After our conversation about Anne's name, my Nana softened and told me that she didn't mean to be so hard on me but that she was worried about me because she had 4 kids in 6 years and it was really hard for her.  I told her that I knew that and that I loved that she was so concerned for me and that I knew that she loved me and only wanted the best for me.  The rest of the evening was very nice and I am so grateful for that because it ended up being the last time that I would see her alive.
I loved my Nana.  I can't believe that she has been gone for almost 10 years!  I REALLY can't believe that 100 years ago she was born.
So, happy 100th birthday Nana.  I love you and miss you a TON!!!

0 comments: