Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Little Story

I know that I haven't posted in awhile, and it isn't because I have had a lack of happenings around here. . . just the opposite, in fact.  However, I wanted to tell you this little story because I have only told very few people this story, but it concerns something that I feel strongly about.  So, have a good read, and feel free to post your comments after you have read this post.  I think that this is a great topic for discussion.
This story is true and it takes place about 5 1/2 years ago.  Being the mother of 3 beautiful girls, I felt as though I had faced quite a few trials.  The biggest trial being the birth of my third daugher, Caroline.  I feel as though I went through Hell and back just trying to bring this beautiful blond hair, blue eyed little girl into the world.  I knew from the moment that I saw her that she would be my trial.  I still don't know why I thought that at the time, but I still believe that my sweet Caroline was chosen to be my daughter to keep me humble.
Anyways, 5 1/2 years ago, my Caroline got sick and had flu-like symptoms and a high fever.  Being the young, protective mother that I was, I held my little girl night and day and I made sure that she was getting her fluids and was nice and bundled up.  She was, after all, only about 6 months old and that was all that I knew to do.  Because I didn't want to bother the doctor, I didn't make an appointment for her to see him, and I figured that this fever, like all of the other ones my girls had previously experienced, would also pass without any incidents.
Boy was I wrong!
After about 3 days, I felt really strongly that I needed to take her to the Children's Hospital.  I was very worried about her, and she must have showed some signs that she was getting more sick because I am not a big fan of visitng the hospital and I felt as though I was there at least once a year (and I was!!!).  But, ultimately my concern for my little girl overpowered my stubborness and I packed myself an overnight bag and drove to the Children's Hospital for what I knew would be a long wait followed by more long waits.
Once we got to the hospital, we stood in the line and waited for the triage nurse to do a preliminary check-up on her and direct us as to where we needed to go.  I remember this night as though is was yesterday (which is interesting because I can barely remember yesterday, much less 5 1/2 years ago. . . that shows how much this affected me.).  The triage nurse directed us into a triage room where there were 5 other sick children in beds divided by curtains.  Caroline was acting thirsty and so I got her a bit of apple juice as directed by the triage nurse.  And then all of a sudden I was looking at Caroline and it felt like my soul was saying good-bye to her.  I don't know why I started doing that, but it seemed as though I was watching her die.  To anyone else, it would have looked as though she was sleeping, but I knew that something was wrong.  Luckily for me, the triage nurse just happened to be walking up to our bed at that time and she grabbed the doctor as Caroline started to have a ceasure.  I was quickly pushed out of the way as they grabbed her and took her into the emergency room and started pumping her chest and sticking tubes in all sorts of places, and giving her needles and doing all of these crazy things to her.  No one said a word to me.  Every eye was on Caroline and my heart was beating as fast as her little heart was.  I knew that something had gone terribly wrong, I just didn't know what it was because all I could see were people in scrubs, tubes, monitors and blood.
Finally things seemed to settle down and people started to leave the room.  I think that's when someone remembered that I was standing there in the corner, white as a sheet and very scared.  A doctor, a resident and a nurse all came over to me and started asking me a ton of questions.  They then explained to me that they had no idea what was wrong with Caroline, but that her fever was so high that it had caused her body to start shutting down and that was why she had siezed.  They didn't know if or what the long term effects would be, but they knew that it was definitely the fever that had caused the ceasure.  The doctor, nurse and resident all then proceeded to explain to me that when a baby has a fever, you shouldn't keep them warm and bundled up, you should do whatever you can to cool them down.  Who knew?  I certainly didn't.  I certainly didn't realize that something as common as a fever could cause me to almost lose my little girl.  I felt as though I had failed her.  I felt as though I had caused it.  And I vowed that I would never feel like that again.  I would do whatever it took to keep my children safe, even if it meant researching something as mundane as a fever.
The reason I am sharing this story with you is because of this. . . when I made that vow to myself, I soon realized that even though I couldn't have prevented the fever from starting, I could have learned how to control it.  There were people out there who knew what I needed to do and they had information for me to be able to help my child.  I just needed to reach out and do something about it.  What's my point?  It is this. . . I am a very strong believer in vaccinations.  I believe that the medical professionals have been researching diseases and their causes and effects for a very long time.  I truly believe that when they strongly recommend that children should get vaccinated at certain ages that there is a reason.  I don't believe that one doctor decides on a whim that a certain age is appropriate for a certain vaccination and because everyone else likes the idea it becomes accepted.  I believe that there are certain laws and practices in place to prevent that from happening.
That being said, I also believe that there can be reactions to certain vaccinations.  I also believe that those reactions are the exception and not the rule.  I have also come to believe that sometimes people can overreact when one of these exceptions occur and then try and convince the major population that the vaccinations are not a good idea.  I personally have seen the devasting effects that some of the diseases that my children are vaccinated against have done to those who have had the strength to survive the diseases.  The long-term, lasting effects of these diseases is something that cripples these survivors for the rest of their lives.  As a mother, I do not want anything like that to happen to my child . . . especially if the answer to preventing these terrible effects is as simple as a free vaccination that is readily available to my child.  I could never live with myself if my son or daughter died from something that could have easily been prevented if I had taken the time to get them vaccinated.
The vaccines that are given to us, and especially children have gone through extensive testing and retesting and have had to pass through a series of approvals before they can be available to be used as a form of preventative medicine. 
I never thought I could lose a child because of a fever, but I almost did.  I truly believe that Caroline's disorders that she is now living with are a direct effect from that fever and ceasure that she endured that night in the hospital.  I could never live with myself if she had died from something that I could have prevented.  She is a constant reminder to me of how important it is to make sure I know all of the facts about something, even if it seems to be something that I see every day.  You just never know what could happen.

6 comments:

Lahni said...

Two things:
First of all I totally agree with you about vaccinations. I have a couple of facebook friends that are anti-vaccination and are constantly posting crap/b.s. about how bad they are for you and how they cause autism etc, etc. I know it must be hard for a parent to realize that a child of theirs has a disease like autism and I can see how you would like to find someone to blame, but I have yet to read convincing evidence that links autism to vaccinations. And (getting up on my soap box here) it REALLY REALLY pisses me off that some people feel that they can neglect to vaccinate their children and risk exposing my children to these terrible diseases (because vaccinations are NOT 100% effective all of the time.) But because most parents do vaccinate their children, it protects children who aren't vaccinated because there is so much lower of a chance of the disease going around. I wonder if these parents would change their tune if there was a larger possibility that their children would be infected by something like meningitis? Because of vaccines we have eradicated small pox? Is that a bad thing? Where my SIL lives (in the US) her kids can't go to school unless they have all their vaccinations up to date. Anyway, enough raving on my part.
The second thing I wanted to say is that in cases when I am unsure what to do with my kids when they are sick, I call Health Link. Have you ever used this service? One time one of my boys suddenly developed this really weird rash and I was really worried. After calling Health Link we decided that it was just hives and that we should keep an eye on it but that it probably wasn't a big deal. They are extremely helpful and all are trained nurses. When my oldest was about 3, he had croup and we were able to avoid a visit to the emergency room because I called Health Link and she told me to take him outside. It made a huge difference in his breathing and we were all able to go back to bed instead of wasting a night waiting in the ER. I'm not making a judgment about your situation, but maybe if you had called Health Link I'm sure they would have told you not to bundle up that feverish baby. I'm not saying that's what you should have done, I'm just saying that it's a great service and it has saved me and probably a lot of other people trips to the ER that could have been avoided. (I'm really worried that my comment is coming off insensitive and it sounds like I'm saying that if you had called health link you wouldn't have had these problems but that's not at all what I'm trying to say.)
Anyway, this comment is way longer than I intended it to be. I really like that you shared this story, Megan. I think we have all had moments when we've been extremely worried for our children and it's really easy to place blame on ourselves, thinking, if only I had do this or that. But all you can do is your best and in this situation you did your best. Who's to say that bundling that baby made the fever worse? She may have had a high fever no matter what you did to try and bring it down. You can't second-guess yourself. She's still here and relatively healthy (right?) and that's what counts, isn't it?

Megan C said...

Thanks for your comment Lahni. . . I guess I forgot to write that I did call Health Link and that's what convinced me to go to the hospital right away. I am also a HUGE fan of Health Link! Thanks for commenting about that. . . I may have to write a post in the future about why I am such a big fan of Health Link. . . it saved one of my other children! Also, don't worry, even if I hadn't called them I wouldn't have been offended by your comments. It feels good to finally hear that someone actually agrees with me about the whole vaccination thing. I was starting to feel link a minority here.

Suzanne Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley Dawn said...

Amen to Lahni! Soap box is much needed and I might just join her up there. It really ticks me off that other people get to live better because of us other moms who take our kids IN and do the responsible thing.
Also the Health Link has been VERY helpful and saved my daughters life once. Apparently if your baby, under 3 months, has a fever at all. It's a HUGE deal. I have never been ushered into a hospital so fast. I didn't even have time to sit down in the waiting room...and there was another kid with a seizure at the same time. After a spinal tap and a few days of hell.... all is well. But that was super scary. It also is sometimes overly cautious.....but I'd rather have that than not cautious enough.
Thank you for taking a stand on the immunization thing! My MIL is an avid anti-immunization believer and it's hard to go against her so actively, but it's SO worth it to me. I'd rather my child be alive with Autism than dying of Rubella or Meningitis, or Tuberculosis, or small pox or one of the other millions of diseases that are helped by them. Thank Heaven for modern medicine!

Jamie said...

AMEN!!!!!! I have been feeling completely overwhelmed by the anti-vaccine noise that has been going down especially about the flu vaccine. It's been driving me bonkers, especially since people have been telling me not to get vaccinated and I am 34 weeks pregnant, so I am FIVE TIMES more likely to develop complications from the flu. I'd rather not DIE and leave my little family alone, including a brand new baby. Thanks for posting this Megan!

Mandy said...

I think, like you said, there are some people that are the exception to the rule but for the most part, I think vaccines are good. I think if we adhere to all the stuff we are ever told about things (ie don't use non stick fry pans), we'd all basically be sickly people. I think if you have concerns about something particular, you should pray about it as well as do your own research on it. A theory is only that until someone proves otherwise.