Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Those words!

I love living in Canada for a couple of reasons.  The snow and cold isn't one of them, but the healthcare is!  I know that the U.S. is in great debates over this issue, and while I do think that our system is FAR from perfect, there is something very reassuring about the fact that if myself or my family members need medical attention I don't have to think about how much it will cost me and I don't have to make sure I go to a certain hospital or see a certain doctor.  My health and my children's health and well being are the only things on my mind in a medical situation.
One of the downsides to our healthcare is that sometimes (okay, quite a lot of times) there are long waits for things like CAT scans, doctor's appointments and MRI's etc.  However, when there is an emergency you do get in right away (we have all heard the horror stories of the few exceptions so I won't go there).  That is what worried me yesterday.
You see, I have been having problems with my ankle and leg for about 4 months now.  In September, I had sharp, shooting pains going up my leg and I had to go on crutches for a couple of weeks.  Because of this, my doctor ordered some X-Rays to make sure that everything was okay.  The X-Ray came back and showed that I had a calcium tumor on my ankle.  Hearing the word "TUMOR" made me panic and so my doctor was quick to point out that it was probably beneign but that they would send me for an MRI to make sure.
4 months later, on February 8th, I got that MRI.  It took 2 hours!  I was told that my doctor would have the results from the MRI in 7 to 10 days and that they would call me in once they had the results.  On Monday, I received a call from my doctor when I was out of town asking me to give them a call to set up an appointment.  I called on Tuesday and they wanted me to come into his office first thing this morning.
Did you read how I mentioned above that when there is an emergency that you are able to get into things right away with our healthcare system???? 
Do you now understand why I was so freaked out yesterday???? 
It is very rare to get into your doctor the next day unless there is some sort of emergency.
I was so freaked out yesterday!  I couldn't concentrate on anything and I couldn't sleep.
This morning I went to the doctor and he told me the words that I was hoping that I would hear! 
I DO NOT HAVE CANCER!!!  YAY!!!!!
I do, however, have a calcium tumor in my ankle which hasn't changed in the 4 months since my X-Rays.  I also seem to have multiple stress fractures in my leg that I didn't know about (but does explain some of the pain that I have been having) and so I now can't run or do any high impact exercise until I get the "OK" from my doctor.  He thinks March or April.
The kind of scary news is that the MRI did pick up some changes in my bone marrow in my leg, and because of that they are a bit concerned that I might have sclerosis developing in my ankle.  So, now I have more X-Rays and MRIs getting scheduled and hopefully they will show no change.  It will definitely be a long 3 to 6 months waiting for the next MRI to see if there are changes, but hopefully I will get to hear THOSE WORDS. . .
. . . . YOU DO NOT HAVE SCLEROSIS! 
Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Jacki said...

Whew! I hope everything heals itself up really soon.

Rob and I frequently talk about moving to Alberta just for the health care. Since we don't have employer based coverage, we've had some insurance nightmares. Rob couldn't get coverage when I was pregnant, because he was "an expectant father." That's on the list of preexisting conditions. Go figure.

Jamie said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know what you mean though. A lump in my breast showed up on my mammogram a year ago and with my family history, I had to go in for an MRI right away. It's nice that they can get you in when you have to!!! (I too got to hear the words - not cancer! Phew!)