Monday, February 22, 2010

That Mom!

I am THAT MOM!
I am THAT MOM who believes that childhood should be wonderful and magical. 
I am THAT MOM who believes that teaching children to believe in fairy tales is not wrong.
I am THAT MOM who believes that a child SHOULD believe in Santa Clause as long as possible.
I am THAT MOM who believes I should have the right to talk about the Birds and the Bees on my own terms and not have that decision made by anyone else.
I am THAT MOM who believes that children need responsibility in order to feel a sense of accomplishment.
I am THAT MOM who volunteers for almost everything that my children are involved in.
I am THAT MOM who pushes my children to stand up for what they believe in.
I am THAT MOM who will stand up for my children, no matter what the cost.
I am THAT MOM who teaches her children that everyone has the right to believe in whichever religion they choose, even themeselves!
I am THAT MOM who believes that talking trains and animals are a big part of being a child.
I am THAT MOM who believes that the TOOTHFAIRY is the smartest and most generous fairy that the children know.
I am THAT MOM who encourages her children to keep believing that life is a Musical and that Music can cure all ailments of the heart, mind and soul.
I am THAT MOM who sends her daughters to school competely dressed from head to toe in Princess crowns, curls, glitter, dresses, and matching shoes when it is Princess day at school.
I am THAT MOM who does whatever it takes to make her kids coordinate their costumes to their hearts' desire on Halloween.
I am THAT MOM who makes every birthday a big deal.
I am THAT MOM who spends hours working on major school projects with her kids so that they can be proud of what they have come up with.
I am THAT MOM who believes that it is worth the money to create and preserve memories made together.
I am THAT MOM who pushes her children to become better at whatever they are doing.
I am THAT MOM who buys raspberry gingerale when her babies are sick or have sore tummies.
I am THAT MOM who will sit in the hospital waiting room for hours waiting to see a doctor for her children.
I am THAT MOM who will NOT leave her hospitalized child's bedside if they are sick in the hospital.
I am THAT MOM who believes that fabulous teachers make all the difference in her children's education.
I am THAT MOM who make sure that her children see the consequences (good and bad) when making a big decision.
I am THAT MOM who teaches her children to serve others by serving others herself.
I am THAT MOM who believes that her children's faith can get them through any trial.
I am THAT MOM who is tired of people judging her for being THAT MOM. 
Because I am not THAT MOM who is naiive enough to think that everyone agrees with me on everything that I teach and do with my children I hope that other people respect me enough to let me just be the only kind of mom I know how to be.
THAT MOM

4 comments:

Jamie said...

So, a good mom then?

Suzanne Lee said...

I think you are a great mom. I hope I didn't say something wrong about the Tooth Fairy though... sorry.

Megan C said...

Suzanne,
Don't worry about the tooth fairy thing. I wasn't offended by it at all. You're not the first person to say anything about it either. It just reminded me of how much I love that the kids still believe in those kinds of things. It was a nice reminder!

Anonymous said...

I hope I was THAT MOM to my kids too, and love doing things with my grands and greats, and even with my own kids when they have time and we are in the vicinity!