Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Little Indulgences

As part of my smiling all of the time goal, I have been trying to think of things that make me happy. Lately I have had a really sore ankle and when I went to my doctor he sent me to get an X-Ray which showed what they think is a tumor on my ankle. Don't freak out. There is a 95% chance that it will be benign but it has been causing me a lot of pain and I have even been banished to crutches if I have to go long distances (like from my bedroom to the front door).
Now, I will admit that if I lived by myself, I would probably just sit and wallow and feel sorry for myself. However, being the mom of 5 (3 of which are worried little girls) I don't have that luxury, so when the kids are home I have to be completely cheerful and happy. That being said, I have been trying to find things that make me happy and either think about them or do them so that I can be happy for my kids.
So, here are a few of my little indulgences that help put me in a good mood:
1 - I like funky hair! The good news is that my cousin, Amber seems to be a genius with my hair and always does a great job with the cut and color! Everyone always admires my hair when I get it done. Getting my hair done makes me happy on so many levels. . . I feel good about myself which makes me happy, and I love spending time with my cousin (and all of my cousins in general) which also makes me happy, I get some time away from the kiddies. . . another bonus (I love them but it is nice to have a break every once in a while!).
2 - I have a weakness for croissant donuts. . . yes, you heard right. . . there is probably nothing quite as fattening as a croissant donut, but when I die of an overdose of croissant donuts you can be sure that there will be a smile on my face!
3 - I love to plan and organize. I have been working on my food storage for my family and getting ready for the winter. In doing this, I have been canning like crazy and it feels so rewarding and I love seeing all of the jars lined up in nice neat rows. . . now I just need more space to put them!
4 - I love babies. I can't have any more of my own, so I pretty much steal any baby that I come in contact with. If you are not okay with this, then I warn you to hide your baby when I come around because you can guarantee that I will immediately snatch your baby and play with it until it is time for me to leave. Don't be shocked, I have been this way since I was 12.
5 - I like to watch movies at the movie theatre. This could be an expensive habit, however there is a rewards program here that I participate in and so all of my movies (and the accompanying popcorn) are free. . . . saving money too. . . another great thing for me!
6 - I like to travel. I like to plan trips and I love to look forward to trips. The planning for trips keeps me happy for hours on end.

There are many more things that I love to indulge in to help keep me happy, but I am curious, what are some things that YOU like to indulge in when you get a moment?

3 comments:

Dean and Selena said...

I like to indulge in a bowl of popcorn, a loud movie and a big glass of Diet Coke. My favorite place in the world to visit is Disney ( land, world I don't care ) so I could sit and plan that trip over and over again. I love sitting on my deck with Dean in the big comfy couch, and watching movies out there too, but outdoors, it's wine in my glass :-) ( or beer ) and I Love Love Love, hanging out with Maddie, doing whatever crazy thing we can come up with :-)

Suzanne Lee said...

You can snag Brooklynn for as long as you want when she is around! I hope your foot gets better soon, I'm sad you are in pain. Let us know if you need anything :)

Jamie said...

Love it!