Thursday, March 31, 2011

It Makes Scents!

Do smells trigger memories for you?  They DEFINITELY do for me. 
Whenever I smell coconut, I think of being on a beach in Mexico with my Aunt Christie's family on our cruise.  Whenever I smell the Eau de Parfume "Exclamation" or "Sunflowers" I am whisked back to my teenage years and I remember going to the dances and flirting with boys.
Today I was surprised by the memories that came to me as I heated up my new Scentsy warmer.  The scented wax that I put in it is called "Thunderstorm" and I was amazed by where that smell took me.  I was sitting in my family room when all of a sudden I smelled flowers after a thunderstorm.  This scent is beautiful in and of itself, but for me, all of a sudden I could see my Great Grandmother whom I called Nana.
That scent whisked me away to my own little daydream where I was a child and I would have sleepovers with her.  I remembered visiting her and taking my numerous boyfriends to meet my Nana.  I remembered visiting her every week after my doctor's appointments when I was pregnant with Abby.  I remembered the look of concern on her face as I endured labour pains during one of our visits.  I remembered watching her with tears in my eyes as she held my firstborn in her arms and asking her who she thought Abby looked liked.  I remembered giggling when she replied that she looked like a baby and that I shouldn't expect her to look like anyone but herself.  I remembered looking out Nana's windows and seeing some sort of squirrel, bird or chipmunk that she had adopted (or that had adopted her) and watching her enjoy the various noises that they would make.
The reason I think that this scent reminds me so much of my Nana is because it really does smell like flowers after a thunderstorm.  The smell is so vibrantly rich and fragrant that it smells like the many flowers that my Nana always had around.  I can never remember a time when my Nana wasn't surrounded by plants and flowers.  I have always tried to grow flowers in my yard as a tribute to her, but somehow, having this scent in my house, I feel as though she is here.
And so I love it.  I am very glad that the girlies and I chose to have this scent around.  Hopefully as they get used to the smell it will give them many memories of their own, and I will secretly feel as though my Nana has a hand in their lives.
I am so glad that I bought so many packages of this scent!  It will be nice to feel as though my Nana is around again.

2 comments:

Jenna Lee said...

why you no blog no more?

Jenna Lee said...

why do my comments have to approved now?