Friday, May 7, 2010

Why the heck not?

As a lot of you already know, I have gotten into the U of C program of Visual Arts with a specialization in Photography.  I am sooooo excited!  I can hardly contain myself.  My parents and siblings seem to be excited for me, however when I told some of them they responded with "But what about culinary school."  My response was "All in good time".  I still want to get the piece of paper behind me to become a Red Seal chef.  That is still what I want to be when I grow up, however I have always had a passion for photography.  I spend hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars a year getting photos done of my kids.  I LOVE to dress my kids up and do random photo shoots of strange things.  I know that when I die I will not be able to take anything with me except for memories, and I want my children to be able to have lots of memories of their childhood.  I love looking at old photos of myself growing up and I want that same joy for my children.
So, why not?
The great thing about this program is that it will be two years long and all of the courses are in the evenings and the weekends.  Otto and I can sacrifice for 2 years.  We have done it before and we can do it again.  I have been having a hard time lately because I have come to the realization that all of my siblings are now graduating from University.
What does that make me?
I feel like a bit of a disappointment.  I know how important a University degree is for my parents and I will probably never get one.  I have a really hard time focusing on anything.  I am always doing a million things at once because I can't concentrate on one thing at a time.  I have learned (through sad experience) that if I am sitting in a classroom with 300 people and a teacher is giving a lecture that I am expected to learn from that it won't work.  I just can't do it.  I have such a hard time with it.  That makes this program PERFECT for me.  I get to attend classes in the evening and the weekends and I get to DO stuff!!!
When I was at the U of C before (when I was straight out of high school) I was in Business.  I used to dread having to take any math course.  Now, my biggest fear is going to be the "Basics of Drawing" course that I have to take.  I cannot draw to save my life!  I do love, however, that this is the class that I am the most worried about!  What a great program!  I just can't wait.
How does this help my future?
Well, doesn't all education help us?  Isn't that what learning is all about?  I mean, how can it hurt to be constantly learning about things that interest you and will help improve your life?  I don't plan on becoming a huge photographer and shooting for magazine covers and such.  I just want to do this for me.  I want to really learn the best ways to capture my precious moments.  I do think that it will eventually help my catering business because I will learn how to do commercial photography as part of my courses and then I can take pictures of my food that I create and use them to promote my company.  I will also be taking website design which will help me design my catering website so that people can come and book me online.
So that is it!
Why am I going back to school for this applied degree?
Well, why the heck not?

4 comments:

Lahni said...

FUN! I'd love to learn more about photography. I'm jealous!
I have a dream about going back to school too. I hope someday I can. I'd like to get an English degree or a biochemistry degree.

Jacki said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Being Ausmus said...

So fun...let me know if you need a family of 4 as genie pigs:)!!!

Jamie said...

How did I miss this post? That's great!!! Congrats! I'm jealous too I'd love to do that but I don't think I have the eye. I hope you post some of your work for us to admire!