Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Years Resolutions

I guess that it is that time again when we all declare what our New Year's resolutions are going to be. I always stop going to the gym in January because it is always packed with people trying to fulfill their New Years resolutions of exercising more. I, personally, love the fact that when I go back in February, the gym is basically empty again. It always makes me laugh to myself.
I actually love resolutions because I am a very goal oriented person. I love to set goals for myself (and have others do the same) and then I relish in the feeling of accomplishment that I get when I fulfill these resolutions.
This year, I only have one resolution. It is to read the scriptures with my husband and children every night. Abby is getting baptized into our church this April, and I want her to at least have a basic understanding of what she believes before she makes that committment (not that she really has a choice at this point. . . I just want her to be prepared). I am so excited for Abby to get baptized into our church because I know how much comfort my faith in God has given me throughout the years, and how much it can give her. We had a tough year, last year, with our little Robin being stillborn and Abby's friend being killed in the car accident, and I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have the beliefs that I do. I know that it has given me so much solace and that it has really helped my children, and especially Abby, deal with everything that has been going on.
I hate to say it, but I do think that our challenges are going to get worse. I am terrified when I think about the types of things that my children will have to endure and what they will become exposed to. So, even though I only have the one New Year's resolution, it is the best way that I can think of to protect my children.

0 comments: