Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Big Guy

You know, I have decided that I may not be a "Good Mom" at the moment, but I do have one saving grace. I married well. Whatever I lack in the motherhood department, my husband more than makes sure he covers in the fatherhood department.
Otto has taken this whole week off so that he could be at home to help me out. This has been the only time that he has been able to do that, and I am so grateful. I LOVE having Otto at home. It makes me wish that he didn't ever have to go to work. I know that some wives love to have their husbands go to work because they need the space, but honestly, if I could have Otto at home all the time, I would be the happiest person in the whole world. We are very different people, and for some reason it works for us. We have always been a team, especially when it has come to our children. I don't think that I could have ever asked for a better father for my children.
I always think that it is funny that my siblings think that Otto is a saint for being able to be married to me for so long. When Otto and I first got married, it was hard on both Otto and my siblings because of our different backgrounds. Otto is the baby of his family and so he was never used to having to be an example and watch the things that he said and watch his actions. My siblings had never had so much contact with someone who grew up with such a completely different background from us. It was hard for a couple of years, but as my siblings have gotten older, and Otto and I have made sure that we have been a part of their lives, the relationship between all of them is now wonderful. It is almost as though Otto has always been part of the family and my siblings see him as another brother.
I would have to say that the biggest compliment that I have gotten about my big guy came from my father this weekend. My dad and I were talking about life and changes and he told me that I should never worry about my finances because Otto is such a hard worker and he would make sure that we would never hurt ourselves financially. He said that he knew that Otto would take up a night job if he had to so that we could make our ends meet. I just thought that that was such a compliment that my dad doesn't worry about Otto and I and that he knows that Otto will always step up and take care of his family. I have always known that, but it does feel good to know that my parents know that, as well.
The reason that I have written this post is because I just feel blessed to have my big guy. We are having our 10 year anniversary this September and so I have spent alot of this year thinking about him and our lives together. I have NEVER complained about Otto as a husband and a father. I have NOTHING to complain about in that department. It is amazing to me when I look back at everything that we have been through together and I sometimes wonder how we have gotten through it all. I still don't have the answers to that, but I do know that it has made us stronger and grow closer, and my children are very lucky to have the father that they have!

1 comments:

Beth said...

First of all, from reading your blog I DO think you are a "Good Mom"!!!!

This was an awesome post about Otto - he sounds like a wonderful husband, father and man!

Beth