Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Good Mom

Lately, I have been wondering what the title "Good Mom" really means. What actually qualifies someone as a "Good Mom". I mean I know what qualifies someone to be a "Bad Mom" like abuse, neglect, etc, but the definition of a "Good Mom" seems to elude me.
I can tell that my kids have not thought that I have been a "Good Mom" lately. I have been getting some complaints from them in that department. Here, let me give you some examples:
Abby - she thinks that she needs to remind me that I need to feed Lee every time he cries. She feels that if she doesn't tell me that he is hungry that I won't feed him. Boy are we sure lucky she is around so much or that poor baby would starve because it would never cross my mind that I actually need to feed the baby! Thanks Abby!
Anne - on Monday Anne was feeling sick at school and decided to call home so that I could go and pick her up from school. I just had a c-section and so I am still not driving. My mom has been staying here with me. Well, one of us must have been on the phone when Anne called and she got the answering machine. Anne has never gotten the answering machine before and so she didn't know what it was. When Anne did get home, after school, she immediately came up to me and said, "You know mom when the phone rang and you answered it and said to leave a name and number? Well, that was me! I was calling to tell you to pick me up from school. You shouldn't just say to leave your name and number if you don't know who it is first!" She was LIVID that I would tell her to leave her name and number instead of talking to her. . . she didn't know it wasn't me.
Caroline - well, she just always tells me that I am mean and she doesn't like me. I am looking forward to at least 15 - 20 more years of that
Dustin - I know that he is wondering why I would dare bring another baby boy into the house when I already had one? I think that he is feeling usurped because he is continuously acting out.
I guess that the only one who actually thinks that I might be a "Good Mom" right now is Lee. He is cuddled, fed (but with reminders from Abby of course), clean, happy, and basically content. I am sure that as time goes on and as the kids adjust to having our new little brother that maybe I won't be seen as such a bad guy. Maybe they will come around and realize that they are still loved and that I would do anything for them. Because, I guess when it all comes down to it being a "Good Mom" to me means that you love and cherish your children the best way that you know how. So maybe I am still a "Good Mom" after all.

4 comments:

Beth said...

That is hilarious about the reminders and the answering machine. When Brooklyn was more of a baby - I had put her in her high chair while I was in the kitchen cooking and was feeding her in between it all and I guess I didn't get to her quick enough one time because I turned around and Bella was feeding her her food!!

Hope everyone gets used to having another baby around soon!!

Beth

Jacki said...

Congratulations on your baby! The story gave me a good scare, but I'm glad everything was fine in the end.

That is really funny about Anne and the answering machine. She'll love that story when she's older.

The Mom said...

Laugh my head right off about Anne ;) That is tooo dang funny! Not driving after a c-section? Isn't that kid a week old already - you're a good mom, but maybe a bit of a wimp??? Ha ha ha!!! I WISH I hadn't been driving a week after my babies ;) Even with help from Grandma, their schedules were such that I was out and about as soon as I came home from the hospital (or maybe it was just my personality????)

So happy that things are going well - and - get used to NOT being a good mom, cause trust me, they come up with all sorts of descriptions of what makes a good mom, and somehow, you never quite fit the bill :)

But - just so you know - I think you're a GREAT mom :) Can't wait to see you and snuggle that baby in May!!!

The Mom said...

p.s. if you were a good mom you wouldn't have forgotten to put your kids in green today - LOLOL

Did I mention that I forgot to put Brady in green for preschool? He was the only one LOL Now who's the bad mom ;)

p.p.s. I didn't break out presents for St. Paddy's - that's an old Beanie Buddy from the girls and I bought the green ponys at Target for a buck :) I just thought they were kinda cute ;) Little K was bummed, because I do have to admit, in the past we have had treats left by the Leprechaun though :) But this year we're saving for Disney :)