Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Change is good. . . . . .right?

You know, Otto and I have been married for almost 10 years now. In that time I have realized something. It seems as though when we want to make a small change in our lives, like having a baby, or moving, or graduating University, we seem to not just be able to change one small aspect of our lives. It seems as though all the big changes want to come at once.
One week from tonight will be the day before Lee is born. For me, having this baby is going to be a huge change. I will be back in baby mode with diaper changes, waking up in the middle of the night, burping a baby, getting all of his immunizations done, etc. I haven't done that in awhile, and it actually hasn't quite hit me yet that there is actually a baby in there. I mean, I can feel him move and everything, but I think that because of Robin, I haven't let myself quite bond with him yet because I am still so scared that something will go wrong. So far, this pregnancy has been a dream (with the exception of when I got dizzy, of course) and it hardly seems real that my little guy will be here in just over a week.
Otto and I are also working on some other big changes right now that will affect our family. They are both exciting and scary at the same time. I have always been a big supporter of my husband, and my thought has always been that if Otto is happy, then our family will be happy. I love my husband so much and I couldn't ask for a better man to raise our children with and to be with forever. I know that he is trying to make the best decision for our family and I am praying for him.
Another big change is the fact that my Abby is getting baptized. I know that I have written about this before, and I remember my mom saying how she couldn't believe it when I was old enough to get baptized. I didn't understand what the big deal was back then, but now I do. For me, this is the beginning of a new phase in life. My children are starting to be able to experience some neat things. It is so weird to see them grow up so fast. I remember the days when they were all babies (they are still pretty young) and I thought that they would never grow up. Abby and Anne asked me the other day if I wished that they were young again. I laughed and told them that they are still young because they are only 6 and 7 right now. Then they asked if I wished that they were still babies because they know how much I love babies. I told them that sometimes I do miss having a tiny baby (but I am about to have one), but that I am having so much more fun with them now. I LOVE that Abby jumped off the highest cliff last summer and learned how to wakeboard. I love listening to her practise the cello. I love listening to Anne practise the piano. I love watching Anne dance, or listen to her asking me math problems. I love listening to them talk to each other in spanish when they don't want me to know what they are saying. These are the reasons I love being their mommy. I love to watch them grow up and see what they are becoming.
The last big change that I am dealing with is the fact that we are not going to be having any more children. We will have 5 living children and 1 angel, and I truly do believe that everyone who was supposed to come to our family will now be here. Otto and I will have one of the largest families in the ward, and we are probably one of the younger couples in the ward, but I am a bit sad to leave this phase of my life behind. I have spent pretty much all of my 20's being pregnant. It will be hard for me to know that there will not be any more little Comin's running around (unless Otto's brother and sister-in-law surprise us all). I know that we are done, and I know that this is the right thing, and I guess that I will just have to be the favorite auntie for all of my neices and nefews on my side! I will put my siblings to shame!!! They will have NO idea on how to compete with me for the title of favorite auntie, because I will probably be like another grandma to their children. . . . I mean. . . . you can never have too many grandmother figures right???
Anyways, like I said, Otto and I do seem to change everything at once. It always makes me excited and nervous at the same time, but I know that in the end Otto and I will be together with our family and we will be happy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAASE
I'm favorite auntie
thats a fact
- no name required, who know who this is....

Megan C said...

Whateves!

The Mom said...

Whatever Jenna - everyone knows I (as in ME) am the BEST Auntie :) Learn from the best girlies, learn from the best!!!!

BTW - fun, cute, preggers niece - I've given you an award over at Brady's Bunch - come check it out!!!

Beth said...

Congratulations on the pending arrival of the new baby. I just "found" your blog through another (Brady's Bunch), which I found through another (I could go on - but it would take a while)!!!

I do hope you find the peace you are looking for and that the changes that occur in your life and the life of your family will be only for the good of you all!

Beth

Jacki said...

Please post lots of pictures of Lee when he comes! I am so excited for you and all of your changes.
Love,
your favorite cousin