Friday, March 6, 2009

I like to feel needed

As my sisters all know, I am having a hard time with them all living in Edmonton. I will be honest, I just don't like it. I miss them like crazy! I miss seeing them when I randomly pop over to my parent's house. I miss talking to them all the time about their lives. I just miss them. I think that I miss them so much because I am their oldest sister and I have always felt responsible for them.
When we were young and my parents would have us clean up a room, I would divide the room and let them pick which side they wanted to clean. (They always chose the easier side of course) and I would clean the other side. Well, my side would get cleaner faster and so then they would decide to switch sides and I would do it. They thought that they were so sneaky, but I realized that I just wanted it to get done and a little help was better than no help at all.
And then there was my candy jar. I have never been a huge fan of candy. I just don't really like it (good quality chocolate doesn't count as candy, it's a dessert!). And so at Easter time and Halloween and Christmas, whenever I would get candy I would put it into this little rubbermaid container and I called it my candy jar. Then (being the oldest, and slightly lazy) when I would want my sisters and brother to do something for me that they didn't want to do I would bribe them with candy. It pretty much always worked and I usually got whatever I wanted.
And now they are in Edmonton. I have felt really lost actually. It used to be nice to have my brother around because we would hang out quite a bit, but now he has gotten a whole bunch of friends to go and live in his apartment complex and he is having a blast over there.
When I moved houses, I wanted to make sure that I moved closer to my grandparents. I wanted to be able to help them out and, let me be honest here, my Grandma is pretty much my best friend. So I moved to be close to them. . . and they bought a second "Playhouse" in St. George. So, they are pretty much gone for more than half of the year.
And then there are my parents. They are now empty nesters and very busy. They constantly have things going on and I think that they are really enjoying not having to worry about anyone at home. It seems that they are always going places and it is fun to hear about their travels.
So, that just leaves me. I don't know if its because I am the oldest, or if its just my personality, but I need to feel needed. I love to do little things for other people, especially my family, and with everyone being gone I just am not needed. I feel weird. I don't really know what to do. This has actually really started to affect me and I think that I need to make some changes in my life. My babies are getting older and so they don't need me as much. I think that is part of the reason that I got this puppy for Otto. Now I have someone who needs me again.
However, I can't go on buying puppies because we have just run out of room. So, I need to change something, or do something that will shake things up enough that I won't need to feel needed.
I guess I just need to think about it for awhile.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, You know Grandma! No matter how old I get I canalways find a couple of 'little old ladies' to befriend and do things for. I recommend it as there's a never-ending supply of lonely little old ladies. Too soon I'll be one and our 'Playhouse Days' will be over, and then you may be busier than you want with us!! We love you.

Anonymous said...

Meg sheggy peg leggy,
you need to make a trip up to edmonton here then ASAP..... and with that candy jar, being the younger and more wise sister i snuck into your room when you were out and ate ALL of it hahahaha that way you have no leverage to bribe me, and I had all the candy! I always was the smartest!!!! haha jokes
but also i'm sending you a more privat facebook msg. check it out NOW
Love ya
-Jens...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Ooh, boy, I can really relate. Maybe it is an oldest-child thing.

I figured out years ago that my caretaker impulse was simply not going to go away, and so I might as well find a way to make a living off of it. Hence my decision to become a counselor.

Maybe you should consider doing some volunteer work in the community? You could do a lot of good, and you would definitely be needed. :)

Ashley Dawn said...

I don't know if it's just being needed, I think it's just important to have family around. They are a huge sense of who you are, and so it makes you feel lost when they aren't around. I'm feeling the exact same way. This is why I'm hoping that we don't go to Colorado. That's WAY farther from family than I ever want to be.

The Mom said...

Awww - you were the bestest big sister ;) I know how you feel with having family all far away :) At least you HAVE lots of sisters - being as I was only able to have one. You are lucky!!! You could come down and visit me, there's lots to be done here, I need you :)

Hugs and smooches!!! And - happy belated birthday LEE!!!! I can't believe he's ONE already!!! Where does the time go :)

And, I'm with you - I truly believe in guardian angels and that things happen for a reason. I know that because of my friend's little angels, Brady is here and well today. While they didn't get to breathe a single breath here on earth, they have touched our lives and I believe that this was all planned out before, and I, for one, can't wait to express my gratitude to them for making Brady's life possible.

Love you!