Saturday, March 21, 2009

More Than a Pair of Scissors

So, about 4 times a year I get my hair completely redone! I love it! It makes me feel like a new woman and it helps me get out of the Frumpy Mom stereotype. I was talking to my favorite hairdresser yesterday and we realized that she has been doing my hair since I was about 17. Can you believe it? That was sooooo long ago!
I am lucky, though, because my favorite hairdresser also happens to be my cousin! I think that's also one of the reasons I love going to see her so much. We are both oldest children and have had a lot of responsibility in our lives in taking care of our younger siblings. I look up to her in so many ways. She is the oldest of all of my cousins and so, growing up, I kind of put her on a pedastool. She is only about 2 years older than me and so we have become friends over the years.
Otto had encouraged me to make a "girl's night" out of my hairstyling appointment, so Amber and I took full advantage of that! After she did a fabulous job on my hair (I am now a red head again), we both ditched our kids and hubbies and went out for dinner and then to a movie. It was great! We both drooled over Brad Pitt and had a fun time just hanging out.
I have been so blessed in my life to grow up in the family that I did have. I love that I have so many cousins that I can be close to. It seems as though no matter where my cousins live, they are a part of my life. I try to keep track of them (I have a better time doing that with the older cousins than with the younger ones, but I still try) and I LOVE hanging out with them! There are some inside jokes that live on forever because of my cousins and it is always a party when they are around.
So Amber, thanks for being more than my hairdresser! Thanks for being my friend, my cousin and so much more. I had a blast hanging out with you yesterday and it was fun just hanging out with you like we used to do back in the day.
Oh, and just a little note. . . I do recommend that you become friends with your hairdressers! I think that it makes them do a FABULOUS job on your hair! I am ALWAYS so happy with how my hair looks after visiting my cousin. . . seriously! It's so much fun to have them around!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A picture is worth a thousand words, Meggie! Can't wait to see the 'NEW YOU'! We should be breezing into Calgary on April 3, weather & roads permitting! Love your blog that keeps us up to date and also keeps us smiling!

Emily Busath Murdock said...

Um, hello. Pictures please.

Lahni said...

Um pictures? You always tell us about your cute new hair cuts and then you don't post pictures!

Ashley Dawn said...

I need to see a picture!! Amber still gave me my favorite hair cut to date. She's a pretty awesome girl. Funnily enough, I went out for a movie after that hair cut too, just with her Dad and brother...