Thursday, March 26, 2009

Its all about the party

Am I a bad mom for not whisking my children away for a fun-filled Spring Break at some distant location? I didn't think so, until I started talking to the kids about what their friends were doing for Spring Break. It seems to me that everyone goes away on vacation. And really, why wouldn't they? As I sit at my computer and look out the window I see that my yard, house and even the mountains are covered in snow. Who wouldn't want to escape to a warmer destination (I mean, I AM going to Florida for my birthday!!!)?
It does make me feel guilty though because I do have so many children, I just can't afford to take them on tons of vacations. I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I only had two of them. Would I spend more time with them individually? Would I take them on more trips? Would they have more stuff? I believe that I would honestly have to answer no to all of those questions. I don't believe that my children are lacking in any area because there are 5 of them. Otto and I have been very fortunate to be able to sacrifice some things in order to be able to give our children the things that they need and some of the things that they even want.
That being said, this spring break has really made me think about things. We aren't going somewhere for a vacation, however we have been having fun. You see, if you know anything about me, you know that I like to plan events. I LOVE to plan things, specially parties or get togethers. So, because we are not going anywhere for Spring Break and I have a big convention coming up next weekend that I have been working my butt off to get ready for, I told the kids that on Friday we could have a party.
I did this a couple of years ago for Spring Break when we didn't go anywhere also, and it works wonders. Here's how it works. Before Spring Break starts we make invitations (by hand of course) and each child gets to invite 3 children. They hand those invitations out to their friends during the last week of school before Spring Break and that starts to get them excited for their party. If you did the math you would think that my house would be full of kids (I have 4 kids old enough to invite friends and that would equal 12 friends plus my kids for a total of 16 kids at my house for a party). However, because it is Spring Break most of the friends can't make it and so as of this morning we are having a total (including my own kids) of 9 children at this party. (Not bad hey?)
Then, on the first day of Spring Break we have a family meeting to discuss what the theme of our party will be (this year it is a Party Animal theme) and what activities we are going to do at it (play Doggie, Doggie where's your bone, make an animal picture frame and take pictures to put in the frames, make animal sugar cookies to decorate, have a pinata, play pin the tail on the donkey). And then everyday during Spring Break we spend the afternoon doing things to get ready for the party. (Go get groceries, buy candies and prizes etc) However, if the kids want a party at the house they also have to help make sure that the house is clean.
So, you see, this Spring Break party becomes the perfect bribe during Spring Break. It works for everything from getting the house clean, to making sure the kids aren't fighting, to having 5 children be on their best behaviour when we are running errands.
So, we may not be going somewhere for Spring Break this year, but this Spring Break has been all about the Party!

4 comments:

Squishy Burrito said...

I wish we lived closer because I think we have similar parenting styles. I through a Valentine's party for my 3 year old (when she was 3) and we spent the whole week planning it together. It was so fun. We told parents that parents were optional and both kind of sad that not one mom showed up to play with us. They just dropped their kids off. We had such a blast anyway and I just thought of what the other parents missed. It made me sad.

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow, what a great idea. You are brilliant. I don't think those kids are lacking either. You're an amazing mom. What am I doing for Spring Break next week?? Sending my kids to Calgary to be with my mom while I get to relax and reorganize my house. I'm SO excited. Even though I'm not a super mom like you...

Jamie said...

Fun idea! I don't think taking your kids on fancy vacations makes you a good parent. We used to go to Montana every summer for family vacation and I have the best memories of that.

The Mom said...

So fun!!!! We might have to do this, since I'm not sure we're going anywhere for spring break this year - maybe to Grandma's playhouse - maybe not - all depends on the soccer and Kent's schedules...

Sounds like you had a blast!