Friday, October 19, 2007

Me and My BIG Mouth

Okay, so I do Friday Forum at the Institute, and generally speaking, I do love doing it. I get to help out the Institute and I get to see all the University Students and be so grateful that I do not have to be there every day. I love the spirit that is in that building, and seeing all of the guys and girls flirting with each other. I also love getting the gossip on who is dating who and who is engaged. It is kinda fun.
Well, last week it was kind of stressful to get the food there on time, and Dustin was sick and so I was a bit grumpy. I usually know that when I am grumpy to speak as little as possible because I usually end up hurting people's feelings. Well, last week there was this boy and I think that he is a lot of fun, and he is a great kid. I have known 3 of his brothers and they are all fun! Well, he wanted to get his meal for free, so he was told that in order to do that, he would have to help out with the dishes. I was really grateful because there is usually only me and 1 or two other girls doing dishes afterwards. The problem was, he just couldn't stop going on and on about how much hard work it was and how he really didn't want to be there because he wanted to play ping pong with his brother. He also kept on complaining that the dishes were too big and we needed to not have to wash them. I didn't say anything for what seemed like FOREVER. . . and then, I couldn't take it any more and so I finally said,"You know what. . . I am sorry, but I have no sympathy for you. What you don't understand is that I have been up since 7:00 this morning making your lunch with a sick baby. While I was doing that I got to do the dishes twice and then I got to load all of the food into my car by myself. After that, I got to drop off my sick kid at the babysitter's house and then drive to the Institute where I got to unload my car, prep the food, and set out the food. I now get to do the dishes with you and then when I go home, I get to unload everything from my car and clean up my kitchen one more time. . . . so I really don't understand where you are coming from." I KNEW I shouldn't have said it, and I knew that it was mean, but as I said, I always end up hurting someone's feelings when I am grumpy.
Today, after Friday Forum, the Institute director asked why this boy wasn't helping do the dishes and the girl that was with me told him that he decided not to do them today and he paid his $3 instead. I immediately knew why he had done that, and I felt like such a moron. I wanted to apologize to him, but I couldn't find him, so now I am going to feel guilty for another week. To make matters worse, I jokingly said to the girl, "Oh, I scared him off did I?" Well, she turned red, and avoided eye contact and just stood there . . . .AKWARD!!!!! I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID SOMETHING.
I will make him a special treat next week and hopefully we can call a truce . . . . so if I ever tell you that I am grumpy. . . that is code for "I am not responsible for what comes out of my mouth!"

4 comments:

Lahni said...

Oh Megan, sounds like he was just extra sensitive! And whiny. Don't worry about it!

Jamie said...

LOL - sounds like he deserved the "talking to". I do understand your desire to apologize, but maybe he'll learn some appreciation from the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

i don't think you should make him an extra special treat, he sounds like a brat
ps. check your facebook messages
-Jenna

Anonymous said...

It sounds like this guy needed to be put in his place. It sounds like he either had the money or could get the money for the lunch but just wanted it free. If someone does you a favor and you have to repay it back by washing the dishes, you don't have a right to complain. He should have been grateful that they were even willing to give him the lunch for free (well, okay in return for a simple service). He acted like he had to be a slave laborer for some rich company and not giving service to the Lord. Good for you for talking to him. I don't think you should make him a treat but maybe just apologize for being so ubrupt if you still feel bad.