Sunday, November 18, 2007

Music

Every year I sing in our church's production of Handel's Messiah. It may not be the most professional performance that there is, but we do have strings and a chorus of 185 people. Throughout the years I have had many disappointments in the production because I have auditioned for a solo part and didn't get it, or things weren't conducted the way that I would have done it. Yet, I still continue to sing in it, year after year. This year, I asked myself why and here is the answer that I have come up with.
I truly believe that Handel was inspired when he wrote that music. Every word is taken directly out of the scriptures and every word speaks of Christ. When I sing that music and forget about everything else that is going on, I become overwhelmed. The power of the words in Messiah, combined with the music brings a feeling inside of me that I just can't describe. I feel as though I am truly singing praises to my Savior. Every time I sing it, something pops out at me. I learn something new about the Savior's life every year, and every year I am amazed by it.
This year, I am having a hard time listening to the pastoral symphony because that is supposed to represent when the Savior was born. It is just too hard for me because it makes me miss my little baby. But then we start singing the words to the other songs in the oratorio and I soon forget about my own little sorrow and I start to feel glad. I especially have loved listening to the soprano aria "I know that my Redeemer liveth". The part that I love the most about it is that it says that although worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God. That reminds me that even though Robin's body was broken and not perfect, when she is resurrected she will be perfect and when I get to see her again, she will be perfect.
That just makes me want to sing Hallelujah.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

I totally agree about The Messiah - it is impossible to listen to and/or sing that music without feeling the spirit.