Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Cousin

I was reading my cousin's blog the other day and it really got me thinking. She was talking about fate and choices and what it was exactly that got her to where she is today. I started thinking about my own choices. I know that I have made some choices that are not all that common. I chose to get married at the tender age of 19. I chose to have 2 babies within a year of each other. I have chosen to become pregnant with baby number 6. I have chosen to be a stay at home mom and not advance my career as a caterer. I have chosen to have a family instead of travel the world. I have chosen to help out the Institute of Religion by providing them with food every Friday at no charge. I chose not to attend University and get a degree, but instead work so that my husband could get his degree.
When I say that I have chosen all of these things, obviously Otto was involved in most of them and they were decisions that we made together. I have been thinking about these choices that I have made and how they have impacted my life. I have asked myself, would I have made different choices if I were given the chance? For most of the decisions, I know that I would have made the exact same choice. My only regret is that I have never had a formal education. I often feel inferior because of it even though I know that I have my music and my catering that have both come in very handy when we have needed some extra money. I just wish that I had that piece of paper to back me up. Maybe when my kids are older I will go back to SAIT and get my Red Seal.
The other thing I have been thinking about when it has come to the choices that I have made is: Am I happy with my life generally? I can definately say that "yes" I am very happy with where I am in life. I have a wonderful husband who loves me very much and who is a FANTASTIC father to our children. I have four beautiful living children who make me smile every day. I have one perfect angel who is waiting for me in heaven. I have another little handsome boy on the way. I have a house that I can finally call home and that I LOVE immensly! All in all, I would have to say that I am blessed because of the choices that I have made.
I heard a saying once that has really stuck with me it goes like this: The key to happiness is not getting what you want, it's being content with what you have. I can honestly say that I am at a point in my life where I do feel completely content with what I have. I mean who could ask for anything more right?

3 comments:

The Mom said...

I think you've made some awesome choices.

You will have time to go back to school one of these days, and then it will mean even more!!!

Great post!!

Michelle said...

It's somewhat comforting to me to know that other people have these kinds of thoughts too. It's so easy for me to second guess myself sometimes, and like you, there are avenues I sometimes wish I had pursued...but in the end, I've always done what I think is the right thing for myself, and it has brought blessings. And that's good enough for me.

Anonymous said...

My wife is the best!!