Sunday, November 9, 2008

But I'm not dancing!

Nobody told me that potty training little boys was different from potty training little girls. So for those of you who are out there, it is VERY different!!! Once my girls were trained, that was it! There were no accidents and there were no messes where there was pee on the floor or wall! With Dustin it is very different! Dustin REFUSES to just waltz into the bathroom and go. In fact, let me show you a little conversation that we had recently:

It's 9 am and Dustin has been awake since 6 and I realize that I have not seen him go to the bathroom yet since he woke up.
Me: Hey Dustin! Why don't you go to the bathroom?
Dustin: No.
Me: Dustin, I really think that you should go to the bathroom because you haven't gone yet this morning!
Dustin: But I'm not dancing!
Me: (after trying to stop laughing) I'll give you a gum ball.
Dustin: (no hesitation whatsoever) OK!

Seriously ladies! I just want to say this is very different from when I had my girlies. Yes, some of them would wait until the last possible second, but they didn't have the added . . . ummm. . . how do I say this politely. . . how about. . . appendage that would allow them to pee in every direction. This has been quite the challenge for me and it seems as though we go through so many pairs of underwear that I have had to buy out Walmart's entire stock on Thomas the Tank Engine underwear and Bob the Builder underwear just so I can get through my usual two weeks without doing laundry.

So to you other mothers of sons out there. . . PLEASE let me know. . . am I the only one who has this fire hose challenge??? Is it only my son who won't pee unless he is dancing??? PLEASE say that there is at least one other mother out there going through this too!!!

3 comments:

Lahni said...

Well, since I've never potty trained a girl, I can't speak to the differences. But, potty training I. was brutal. It took forever. And he did and sometimes still does wait until the last possible second to go to the bathroom. Oh, and when we go shopping, he has to go to the bathroom in every single store we go into and he has to go "NOW!". Good luck!

Jamie said...

I have nightmares about potty training. I've blocked that time out of my mind, and I am procrastinating doing it again.

Kelli said...

As a mom of 3 boys and a kindergarten teacher let me tell you that I've never had a little girl have an accident in class but on a regular basis little boys do (at the beginning of the year). You'll see them begin the "dance" while they are playing at the sand table and remind them to go. Unfortunately they don't always make it down the hall in time. Cameron was easy to potty train...we just told him that when he used the potty all the time that the Potty Fairy would come and leave him a surprise. He wanted to have the Fairy come and that was it. Eadan on the other hand took awhile until I learned about Potty Parties. We held a two day party with the potty and that did it for him...though we didn't have the party until he was 2 1/2. As for the multi directional appendage...I taught my boys to sit and the potty had the little cup to catch it in the beginning.