Monday, November 3, 2008

Conflicted

Recent posts by some of my friends in their blogs have made me think about things. It has made me think about my religion and my values and about whether or not I am someone who could stand up for what I believe in if I had to. I used to think that I would always be the type of person who would stand tall and proclaim what I believe to be true if I had to do it, but now I am not so sure.
Don't get me wrong, I am very strong in my beliefs and my values, however I am also someone who HATES to hurt other people's feelings and I am someone who likes to stand back from a situation and look at it from all sides before I decide how to declare my alliances. This recent topic has conflicted me because I believe one thing, however I have a good friend who lives differently from me and I love him and I would always want this person to be happy. I feel torn and conflicted and grateful that I don't HAVE to do anything about it at this time because it doesn't directly affect me.
I still don't know how I would react if I had been told what to do on this issue, but I am interested to see how it all pans out. It did surprise me when I couldn't just jump on the band wagon with this issue because of the love I have for this friend. It changes everything.

3 comments:

Lahni said...

Actually, it was that friend (I think I know who you mean) that got me thinking about the whole topic myself.

Ashley Dawn said...

I hate those moments... where you realize that you tolerate more from your friends than your ethics normally would. They're hard ones!!

The Mom said...

I think in situations like this we have to show love for our friends, but not embrace the situation - kwim?

It's not easy, as I have friends and family members who openly live a lifestyle that I don't agree with, but I love them and while I don't condone their lifestyle, I do feel it is their choice and I would never want my children to be bigoted about it - as we as members of the LDS faith are being portrayed to be.

But, I don't think Heavenly Father is going to change his mind on this one, and that it is going to become a much larger issue, and one that I believe we will be called to take a stand on. It's sad that it comes to this - but it appears that we are in the last days, afterall....