Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Don't it always seem to go. . . .

that you don't know what you've got 'til its gone. Yeah I know. Another quote from someone who is more eloquent than me. But seriously! Ok, so my dad and his friend own this hotel in Waterton. Yesterday I found out that it had burned down in the middle of the night. I was so shocked and saddened by it. This hotel was originally built in the 1920's and then there was a fire in 1933 and then it was rebuilt again. I loved that my dad owned this hotel. There are other hotels in Waterton that may be nicer to look at, but this one had history. . . and a FANTASTIC restaurant!
I loved going there with my family and staying overnight when there was a family wedding in Cardston, or having a family dinner there. Actually I was planning on going down there to have dinner when Otto and I went to visit Otto's brother next month, but I guess that it won't happen.
I don't know how the fire happened, and I don't know if there could have been anything that could have prevented it, but I do know this. . . I will miss that hotel. If they decide to rebuild the hotel, that will be nice, and I will be happy for my dad. I am still saddened by the loss of this hotel though because for some reason I have always felt a connection to old buildings. I don't know what it is, whether I love the history behind them, or the feeling of being somewhere that people have loved being for generations, or the old musky smell of old buildings, I just love them. I love their looks. I love their smells. I love their history. I love everything about them. I love being reminded that the world didn't start turning when I arrived, but that it existed before I was born and it will continue to exist after I am gone. It is a really humbling feeling and one that I think we all should remember every once in awhile.
So, I am sorry about the loss of this wonderful, loved building and I will be praying for my dad that everything can work out for him.

2 comments:

The Mom said...

Oh no :( That makes me sad too - there was a lot of history in that hotel - and I know you guys loved it!

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow, that's SO sad. I hope everything works out for your Dad too, but - like you - I hold a special place in my heart for old buildings.