Friday, January 16, 2009

Two weeks with the Comins

Wow! Thanks for the comments everyone! So, I figured since some of you had so many questions about my meal plan that I would post it today so you could see what two weeks of food looks like at our house. Now there are some things that you should know before you look at it.

1 - I am trying to lose weight so sometimes you will see two things beside each other. . . that means that the kids will eat what is written on the left hand side and I am eating what is on the right hand side.
2 - Lots of the dishes on here are vegetarian or can be made vegatarian really easily (Jackie you would like this) because I have cut a lot of fat out of our diets. All of the recipes I think are amazing!
3 - If you want me to send you a recipe just let me know and I can email you one really quickly. I keep all of my recipes on the computer so this is really easy to do.
4 - I have been asked (alot) about how can I keep food from going bad after two weeks. The answer is simple. When I am planning my meals I take into account whether they are in the first week or the second week. Based on this information I will usually include canned veggies, frozen veggies, or what I like to call "harty" veggies in the second week (These include cabbage, squash, Turnips, Tomatoes etc. and I will buy a bag of apples and oranges and keep half in the refrigerator so that the first half of the bag is out for the kids to munch on, but the ones in the fridge will keep longer so I usually put them out at the beginning of the second week) and the really fresh veggies (like bean sprouts, fresh herbs, lettuce, etc) in the first week.
5 - Because I have been told repeatedly that I am not on a diet, but undergoing a lifestyle change I have included desserts on Sunday and Monday nights. These are the nights when my family typically has desserts. I have been able to find some FANTASTIC desserts that are really low fat. They have been approved by my doctor. . . and she even has requested a copy of these recipes.
6 - I take into account my schedule. When I am writing down the dates I pull out my calendar and if there is a ton of things happening that night I will put an asterisk next to that date so that I know to include a quick meal to make that night or to do a crockpot meal. If Otto and I are going out on a date I will write down something for just the kids to eat. I even include when we are getting together with friends or other events that I would have to bring food to. . . I hate grocery shopping so it all gets done at once!
7 - I don't necessarily cook everything on the menu on the day that it is written. Sometimes I don't feel like cooking (like last night) and so I will switch around some of my meals. At least I know that I have all of the ingredients to make anything that is on this menu. I also post this menu so that my family can see it so that I don't get the daily . . . "What's for dinner?" questions that drive me crazy!!!
8 - This is what works for me. Hopefully it can help some of you, or give you ideas as to what would work well for you. If you are interested, I can post my grocery list tomorrow so that you can see what that looks like too (yes I do that on the computer too), just let me know.
9 - One last thing. . . if you are interested, I can post my menu every two weeks if some of you are looking for recipes or ideas. It doesn't take me long since I do keep all of my menus on the computer. Just let me know.

Enjoy!



Menu For Jan

Wednesday, Jan 14

B- cereal banana

L- soup

D- Tacos

Snacks –

Thursday, Jan 15

B- cereal banana

L- cheese/crackers leftovers

D- Low Fat Chicken Pot Pie, salad

Snacks -

Friday, Jan 16
B-cereal cottage cheese

L- Mac and Cheese sandwich

D- Phad Thai, Asian salad

Snacks-

Saturday, Jan 17
B- Scrambled egg tacos

L- pita pockets

D- veggie pizzas
Snacks –

Sunday, Jan 18
B-no fat banana muffins

L- chicken noodle soup, crackers

D- coconut chicken curry, rice, asian coleslaw

Snacks – Chocolate Raspberry Brownie Bites

Monday, Jan 19*
B-cereal grapefruit

L- cheese and crackers soup

D- taco salad, lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado, Catalina, tortilla chips, cheese

Snacks-Lemon Sponge Pudding

Tuesday, Jan 20

B- cereal cottage cheese

L- sandwiches

D- veg lasagne, low fat Caesar salad, buns
Snacks -

Wednesday, Jan 21

B-cereal grapefruit

L- ichiban leftovers

D- crispy fish tacos, cabbage, tomatoes, dressing, sour cream, salsa

Snacks -

Thursday, Jan 22

B-cereal cottage cheese

L- Dora Noodles Leftovers

D- Hawaiian Haystacks

Snacks

Friday, Jan 23
B-cereal oatmeal

L- tuna melts

D- Fish and Chips, coleslaw

Snacks –

Saturday, Jan 24*
B- low fat baked donuts

L- cheese quesadillas

D- Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Snack – Grilled Eggplant dip with pitas

Sunday, Jan 25*
B- pancakes

L- nachos

D- Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew, Buns

Snack – Pumpkin Cake

Monday, Jan 26*
B-cereal - pear

L- soup

D- Crockpot Pineapple Chicken, brussel sprouts, rice


Snacks –Summer House Bread

Tuesday, Jan 27

B- cereal cottage Cheese

L- Dora Noodles soup

D- Orange Chicken Fingers, rice, mixed veggies

Snack -

7 comments:

Lahni said...

I want your pad thai recipe. Is it easy?

Megan C said...

Yes! It takes under 20 minutes to make start to finish!! I'll email it to you.

Anonymous said...

Great now I know what's for dinner.

Megan C said...

Wait! You ALWAYS know what's for dinner. . . this menu is posted on the fridge!

Jacki said...

Thanks for posting this Megan. I see how you make five kids possible. Can I have your Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew and veg lasagna recipes?

Ashley Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley Dawn said...

hat is just SO awesome. Can I have all your recipes?? I'm always looking for great recipes to adopt. We actually just started a recipe blog for my family. We're all trying to lose weight, so a lot of them are Weight Watchers ones that we've tried etc. It's mullenrecipes.blogspot.com if you're interested.