Monday, January 19, 2009

It's nice to know people

This morning I was getting ready to drive the kiddies to school (I slept in not them) and I got a phone call from a friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in quite a few months. Here is what the conversation went like:
Friend :"Hey Megan, does Otto drive on (insert road name here) to get to work?"
Me: "yes"
Friend: "Does he drive a white truck?"
Me (a little bit worried): "Yes. . .why?"
Friend: "Well, I think that I just passed him while I was driving to physio. . . does he have a cell phone on him?"
Me: "No, why?"
Friend: "Well, he is sitting on the side of the road with the hood of the truck open and it looks as though he is having car troubles. I didn't see him in time to stop, but I wanted to call you and make sure that you knew what was going on."
Me (now panicked and worried): "Thanks for letting me know! I am leaving right now!"
So I threw all of the kiddies into the car and drove out to go help Otto. Once I got there he was still there (he had left 1 1/2 hours before that time so he had been sitting there for over an hour)and I was able to talk to him. I guess that he had gotten a flat tire on his way to work, and it took him about 45 minutes to change it (on the side of a major road!!!) and once he was done he went to turn on the truck but the battery had died because he had had his hazard lights on. So, finally someone stopped and they were on their way to get a portable charger because this was a one way road and it was too dangerous to turn a car around on it.
I felt terrible that my husband had been sitting there for so long. I knew that he had wanted to get to work early today to get things done and he ended up actually being an hour late.
I am also so grateful that my friend DID think to call me and let me know and that there was someone nice enough to stop and help out my big guy! I just don't know what it would have been like for Otto if neither of those two things had happened.
Anyways, he got all charged up and headed off to work and everything is all good. I am very grateful that I know people who would go out of their way to help others!

1 comments:

Ashley Dawn said...

I'm so glad that he got help. Those days are just NEVER good.