Thursday, February 7, 2008

Battle of Wits


Okay, I have now decided to bite the bullet and see if I can potty train Dustin before Lee is born. The thing that I have learned from attempting this with my girls is that what it basically comes down to is who is more stubborn. . . . mom or child? Abby was a dream to potty train. She wanted to be all growned up so I simply put underwear on her and never had a problem. Even at nighttime. Anne . . . she was STUBBORN!!! It took us almost a full year to break her. . . . ooops I mean potty train her. Caroline was also stubborn and still has the occasional accident. But Dustin. . . . oh Dustin! The kid is actually TERRIFIED of the toilet! I have tried everything I could think of in the past.

- I bought him a Diego padded seat to put on the toilet

- I bribed him with toys

- We bought out Walmart of all of their Bob the Builder, Spiderman and Thomas the Tank Engine underwear (which Dustin calls panties by the way)

- I have tried candy rewards

- Dustin, Otto and Uncle Jason had a peeing party one day

- We tried standing up

- We tried sitting down

- We tried standing up and putting cheerios in the toilet for him to try and hit


This time, it is GOING to work! It HAS TO!!! The kid is almost 3!! We went out this morning to Walmart and bought this little toilet that sings when you pee in it! My kids respond well to music, so I figured it was worth a try. We also bought a whole bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine trains so that when he poops he gets a new train. (Kind of puts a whole new meaning on the phrase Toilet Training doesn't it???) I also bought all of his favorite candies and put them in a special candy jar so that when he pees he gets a candy. However, I bought a TON of candy so that he can see that every time his sisters pee that they get a candy. (I have to see if maybe sibling rivalry will work. . . that's how desperate I am). Dustin even got new Thomas the Tank sippy cups so that he can carry them around all day and drink from them. THIS HAS TO WORK. If it doesn't, I don't know what I will do!

I need imput ladies and gentlemen!!! Any ideas???? Anyone??? Anyone???

2 comments:

Jamie said...

UGH - thus far, I think potty training is the WORST part of being a mom. I am so not looking forward to doing it again. I have no tips - looks like you've tried everything! I swear that a kid will become toilet trained when they decide to do it, and it doesn't matter what tricks you have up your sleeve! :) Good luck for round 4!

Mandy said...

I have to say that I was determined with Tanner and I had it set that I would stay house bound for however long it took to get him trained. With him being an only child, I was fortunate to do that but the number 1 thing is to stay consistant. Never give up! Maybe taking him every 10-15 minutes regardless if he has to go or not might get him in a habit. I also did not put Tanner's pants on him. Just underwear. That way it's easier for him to learn to pull them down. I also constantly asked him if he had to go and reminded him not to pee or poo in his underwear. Of course he had accidents for the first while but after a month, he was done. He's still not night trained but I'm not too worried about that. I'm thankful that he's day trained. Also, if the other siblings are getting a treat when they go, it might not be a special thing for him anymore to get treats. Maybe just having the treats for him so he feels special. Potty training is very time consuming but with effort and consistancy, it will happen. Good luck.