Friday, February 15, 2008

Dustin

Well, we did it!! I can't believe it! I was gearing up for the long haul with the whole potty training thing. Dustin was TERRIFIED to use the toilet, but one of the special things about my son is that he does NOT like to be dirty. I think that this character trait of his, combined with the fact that the kid ADORES his mama were the key to our success. It took about 4 days to get him to actually not be scared to do everything on the potty, but once he figured out that 1-he wouldn't have to sit in it after he went and 2 - he got candy and trains if he went, he seemed to be okay with it. Dustin can even hold it through the night. . . . he has a bladder of steel! I am so excited that this was successful! This will be the first time that I will have a new baby and not have to buy diapers for 2 children! I am sooooo looking forward to it!
Dustin and his mommy are both a bit accident prone. On Monday, when I was making dinner, I was making the yummy enchiladas that my mom used to make for us. I was frying the corn tortillas in oil to soften them up and I was using tongs to pick them up with. Well, when I picked one of the tortillas up, boiling oil slid down the tongs and gave me second degree burns all down my pinky finger! It HURT so much! Even though I now have a blister the entire width and length of my pinky, it could have been alot worse, so I am really thankful that everything turned out okay.
Dustin's little accident happened this morning! He was running around on the main floor (which is all hardwood) and he slipped and fell and split open his chin. It just so happened that I have all of my children home today so it was fun times taking everyone with me to the doctor and getting crazy looks from the other people in the waiting room as I walked into the office, 9 months pregnant, carting around my 4 kids. Luckily we were able to get in right away and Dustin didn't need stitches. He was so good and laid there very still while the doctor cleaned out his wound and put steri strips on it. Dustin didn't even flinch or cry. I just held his head and I told him that the doctor was fixing his owie and that seemed to be good enough for him. I was so proud of Dustin for being so good, and I was soooo relieved that I didn't have to take him to the hospital for stitches.
All in all, it has been an interesting, but good week. Even though we had a couple of accidents and we were going through the rigors of potty training, I would call this week a success. I know that Dustin would too because he has gotten to spend so much one on one time with me because I haven't gone anywhere because I wanted to get this kid potty trained. I am going a little stir crazy, but Otto and I are going out for a nice dinner tonight, so that should cure me of that!

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Yay - congrats on the potty training!
I am a super clutz too - I'm sorry to hear about your accidents. That is brutal! Try not to hurt yourself anymore before your little baby decides to come!!!