Monday, February 11, 2008

Favorite Places

Growing up, I was very fortunate to be able to go to certain places that became special to me. I got to go visit my great grandparents on their farm in Glenwood. I got to go to the cabin every summer. After Otto and I got married, my parents bought a condo in Fernie which was so fun for us to go and visit! Each of these places were so special to me because of the memories that I was able to have there.
Farm:
- I remember hanging out with my great-grandmother and shelling peas
- I remember racing easter eggs down the roof of the chicken coop
- I remember going on truck rides with my great-grandpa
- I remember eating melted cheese and buns for breakfast
- I remember when both my great grandmother and great grandfather died
- I had my honeymoon at the farm

Cabin:
- SO MANY MEMORIES!!!
- learning how to waterski
- being bribed to cross the wake behind the boat
- many a tube ride (I am old school)
- going cliff jumping
- the toilets not working so we had to often hike up to the outhouse
- spending the days suntanning and catching minnows
- many a card game
- abby wakeboarding this past year
- abby cliff jumping this past year
- so many friends and family members coming out and visiting!

Fernie:
- going out there with our friends
- celebrating Canada Day out there
- swimming at the aquatic center
- having a little family reunion out there
- going shopping in downtown Fernie
- eating at the Old Elevator
- hiking
- playing in the river with the kiddies

Unfortunately, for me and my family, I do not actually own any of these places that are special to me. So I am at the mercy of others in order to go there. It seems as though this year, for some reason, everything is changing. My father just sold the condo at Fernie, my grandparents are selling the farm, and things are drastically going to change at the cabin. I do not handle change very well, and I feel as though all of my special places are disappearing. I wish that I had the money to buy at least a part of one of these special places, but with our new house that we got, it is just not in the finances. The problem is that I feel as though my children are not going to be able to have special places like I did. I wish that I had someplace that my kids could go to that I knew wouldn't be taken away eventually. It is so wonderful to be able to have these memories, and I hope that eventually I will be able to find a place of our own where the kiddies can have that type of place without the threat of it being taken away.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I know how you feel. My Dad's family has a farm in Drumheller that will probably be sold soon and I have so many memories there. I wish Tanner would be able to have memories there but he won't. Sorry to hear about the special places in your life.

The Mom said...

I love some of those special places too, and it's weird to think they won't be part of your life. At least you still have the cabin ;) Plus - who knows - your parents might buy a great condo in St. George and you can come visit me!!!