Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You are not seeing things!


Yes, I did change the look of my blog. It was looking rather. . . well. . . blah to me, so I decided to spice it up a bit. I kinda like it now.

I decided to write today because I have been getting ready for my piano recital tonight and it has made me reflect on things. When I was looking through some of the things that my mom had kept for me from my childhood, I came across a booklet that I had made in joy school. It had a cute picture on the top of it and then it said "When I grow up I want to be . . . " and wouldn't you know it, I put down that I wanted to be a piano teacher and a mom. Interesting hey?

Lately I have been thinking about my students. I have 8 of them (including Anne) and each one has been special to me. I already wrote about one of my boys who had the nose picking episode one week. He always makes me laugh! There is another little boy who was 4 in September who always tells me all about his week. . . and I even manage to slip in a bit of a piano lesson between stories. I have 2 boys who have just absolutely LOVED taking piano lessons and even though they both started this year, they are both now on the 3rd level and will be starting Royal Conservatory in the fall. I also have this one little girl who talks like Caroline . . . and she's a bit cheeky like her too. Whenever I teach her, I think that this will be how it is with Caroline. I have another little girl who is soooooooo shy. So much so that she won't participate in the recitals, but I am getting her to attend this one. I love this girl so much and I have LOVED getting to know her throughout the year and watching her become more comfortable with me throughout the year. I am also her Activity Day's leader and having her come to my house for piano lessons has made it easier to get her to have fun at activity days. My last piano student is the daughter of a good friend of mine. I love it when she comes because she is so comfortable coming to my house and we joke around alot during piano lessons. It is also nice to get to see my friend every week because she lives close to my parents and I don't get to see her as often as I would like otherwise. Spending the 1/2 with each of these children each week has been fun. I actually love teaching piano, and actually just teaching music to children in general. The end of the year recital is always so exciting to me because it is always amazing to see how far each of these children have come since the beginning of the year. 7 out of the 8 of them had never touched a piano before and you would be amazed at the pieces that some of them are going to be playing tonight. We will have everything from Disney, to Jazz, to primary songs and there is even going to be one performance where the boy arranged a piece of music that he had done at school.

Anyways, I had better get back to making the programs for the recital, but I just thought that I should write down my thoughts while I had a quiet minute. . . because that sure doesn't happen too often.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Very nice! I like the new look, it suits you.

Jamie said...

I like your new look!
I know what you mean about teaching. I hear ya!

Suzanne Lee said...

Hey I love that blog template! I actually had it on my blog a while ago but for some reason when I applied it I deleted all the widgets on my blog, so I just deleted it... it is very you though! Brown with funky/ pretty flowers. Looks nice and fresh!

Lahni said...

Ugh, I HATED teaching piano, but CHEMISTRY, now there's something I enjoy teaching!

Ashley Dawn said...

Wow, that's awesome. I've been teaching piano as well. We'll have to exchange ideas. I have 11 students, but with a baby coming in the fall, I'll be cutting back a bit. It's bittersweet. It'll be good to have extra time, but I'll miss those kids.