Tuesday, September 16, 2008

5 Years Ago Today . . . .


I was sitting in a hospital room with this beautiful black haired and blue eyed little girl on my lap. Otto and I named her Caroline Kay Comin; Carol(ine) after my Grandma Lee and my middle name and Kay after my Grandma Bennion. She weighed 7lbs, 3 oz and was 21" long. She was a perfect baby. I was feeling a whole mess of emotions because my labour had been especially hard with her. I was happy because she was finally here and I wouldn't have to be in labour any more and I would get to be a mom again to my other two little girlies whom I missed being with for the past few weeks. I was relieved to see that she was perfect and beautiful and soooooo sweet. I felt guilty because I had made the doctors induce me early so that she could be born because my body felt as though it was going to give out from being in labour for 4 weeks. I felt angry at the doctor who had yelled at me throughout my entire 4 day induction and accused me of holding my baby in so that I could have a C-Section. I felt confused as to why she would have treated me that way. I felt loved from having so much support from my family and ward. I felt scared because Otto had just lost his job and he didn't have a new one yet. And I also felt scared because there was a pedophile who lived a couple of condos down from us and he would stalk me and my two beautiful little girls (seriously, I didn't sleep soundly until we moved out of that place!!!!).
But I FINALLY had Caroline. She was so sweet. I used to just cuddle with her in my arms and cry because the doctor who had overseen my induction was the WORST doctor I have ever come across. She yelled at me the entire time that I was in labour and when it looked as though I was going to have to have a C-Section she was bad mouthing me on the operating table. It threw me into post-partum depression for about a year, but all through it I knew that I still had my sweet Caroline.
My life has been a much happier place because of Caroline. She has so much personality! She is always the first one to come up with a witty remark, or a practical joke. She LOVES to play with her big sister Anne and now that the two of them are sharing a room she is in HEAVEN!!!
Caroline has severe speech problems and so because of that she is extremely shy. That breaks my heart because once she finally does open up to you you wonder how you ever got along without her.
Caroline is my little chef. She can make a Caesar salad by herself, whip whipping cream and basically helps me make dinner every day. I couldn't ask for a better helper.
. . . . . Bwah ha ha ha ha while I was writing this post Dustin came down wearing about 2 of Caroline's outfits. I guess that she has been busy dressing him up again!!! Aaaaaaahhhh that little girl! I just don't know what I would have ever done without her in my family!!!
I sure do love that little monkey!!
(Oh and just for the record, her birthday was actually yesterday)

4 comments:

Jacki said...

Happy Birthday to Caroline! I remember you telling me about her birth. I've heard from people who have had traumatic births that they take years to heal from, I hope sharing the story helps. I didn't even know she had a speech problem or that she was shy - I guess you get a kid on a beach in San Diego and nothing will stop them from going a little wild :)

Michelle said...

I remember going to Walmart with you to pick up baby stuff while you were already starting labor. I think we thought it would only be a couple of days, but Caroline wasn't born for another month.

I still don't know how you did that and kept your sanity. Maybe because you got such a nice prize at the end.

Ashley Dawn said...

Awww, you're such a good mom. I love those reminiscing moments as a mom....especially with babies. Congrats and happy remembering.

The Mom said...

Happy belated birthday Monkey!!! I hope you have the BEST time being five! You are getting to be such a BIG girl :) We love you!!!