Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hmmmmm. . . . has this ever been me?

I was visiting my parent's ward today because we had Stake Conference in our stake and going to that is pretty pointless with 5 little kids 8 years old and under. While I was in Relief Society the teacher taught a great lesson! I really enjoyed it! And it has been a long time since I have come out of Relief Society with something to think about. Here is the quotation that stuck with me throughout the meeting:
“There are a great many wise men and women too in our midst who are too wise to be taught; therefore they must die in their ignorance, and in the resurrection they will find their mistake.”
That quotation was from the prophet Joseph Smith.
It pierced right through to my heart.
It made me think about my life and the people that I have associated with over the years. I have known many people fall away from my church because they thought that they "knew" everything about it and they were too smart for the church. I have seen people who were "unshakable" in the gospel leave the church. I have looked back on my own life and realized that the times that I have been able to feel the Spirit were the times when I was humble. When I was taught about PRIDE I didn't realize why it was so important to be humble. . . . until today.
My dad once told me (when I was being obnoxious about winning something) that no matter how good you are at something, there is always someone who is better. At the time I know he was trying to deflate my head a bit, but I think that this is appropriate here, as well. I mean instead of always thinking we are the best at something, why not search out the ones who are better and learn from them? I mean isn't being teachable something that is applicable in all aspects of our lives and not just spiritually?
I don't know. . . . I was just thinking about it a lot today.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Hmmmm...too bad I wasn't in that lesson...