Monday, September 15, 2008

New Recipe

Okay, so I have never been one to refuse a recipe. So when I started subscribing to the cooking light blog and I saw this recipe I had to make it. It just so happened that I had all of the ingredients in my pantry!!
Summer House Bread
3 cups of WW flour
1 cup of sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
2 cups of coarsely grated summer squash
(or 1 ½ cups squash and 1 ½ cups grated sweet potato)
1 cup of applesauce
1 apples, coarsely grated
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons of light oil
1 tablespoon of vanilla
½ cup of chopped walnuts (my family hates nuts in bread and my doctor says that nuts are basically just fat so I didn't put these in the recipe)
½ cup of raisins
½ dark chocolate chips (dark chocolate chips have no fat in them. . . milk chocolate chips have TONS of fat in them. . . your choice!)
A couple handfuls of oats on top

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a favorite large bowl and whisk till well blended, set aside. Then mix everything else in another bowl till all mixed up and happy. Blend the two together till they are just mixed. Divide between two bread pans and sprinkle the top with oats. Tuck in the oven for a cozy bake and bake about 1 hour or till the room fills with the intoxicating sent and a knife comes out clean. As soon as you can handle it, turn the bread out on a cooling rack and try not to burn your tongue. You’ll be baking more of these dandies. Bon appetite!

0 comments: