Thursday, September 11, 2008

Try it out

Alright, so now that I have had all of my babies, I am ready to become 2/3 of the woman that I am now. Okay, I will settle for 3/4 of the woman that I am now. Size wise I mean. I knew when I was having babies that I was planning on having them really close together, and so in between pregnancies I worked on getting my body ready for the next baby and not necessarily losing the weight in between the babies. Well, fast forward to six babies later and here I am. . . 45 lbs heavier than I would like to be. So I decided to do something for myself!
One of my very bestest friends told me of a health clinic that she goes to to help her lose weight. This is a lifestyle clinic and it is run through Alberta Health Care. What they do is have a group of doctors, nurses and dietitians who help you change your lifestyle habits to get you to lose weight and stay healthy. You just have to get a referral from your family doctor in order to get into the clinic and the best part is that it is entirely covered by Alberta Health Care!!! YAY!
So, I went on Wednesday to check it out. . . and I LOVED it! The doctor that I had is also a certified dietitian and after doing some tests and talking to me a bit she helped me come up with a reasonable food plan. I told her that I was concerned about doing this meal plan because as a chef I am really into flavor. . . and the best and easiest way to get flavor is to use fats. She had had me keep a food diary for 3 days and she was impressed because I made all of the food from scratch and we don't eat a lot of processed foods. However, there was a lot of room for me to cut down on fats in our diet. She also told me that in her experience, chefs have an easier time of losing the weight because they get creative with their food and figure out ways to eat healthier.
So yesterday was my first full day with the new meal plan and it went surprisingly well. I am still trying to find a way to have yummy snacks (you can only eat so many carrots before you go crazy) and have flavor without the fats, but I am working on it. Hopefully by the time I go into the clinic next week I will have lost a couple of pounds so that I can feel as though this is worth it. I know that once I get into the swing of things it will become easier!! Here's hoping!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Good for you, and especially that you're doing this the right way instead of jumping on some fad diet bandwagon.

Have you ever seen Sandy Richard's cookbooks series? She has some really good, easy, healthy meals for families - I use them probably more than any other cookbook.

Michelle said...

Sorry, Sandi Richard (with an i).

Website here: http://www.cookingfortherushed.com/

Suzanne Lee said...

Hey that is super exciting Megan. You'll have to tell me more about it and some of the meals you come up with.
What a neat program too.

Megan C said...

I LOVE Sandi Richards!!! I actually cook very much like her with my family. I watch her show all the time on the Food Network because she does meal plans like I do. I took a look at her website from the link that you sent me and I didn't know that she had a Healthy Family cookbook. . . hmmmmm . . . maybe I will just have to go pick that one up!! Thanks oh wise cousin!!

Lahni said...

Wow!! Good for you! I have a real problem eating healthy. I'm just way too picky. I wish I had the self discipline to eat well.

The Mom said...

Good for you Megs!!! I hope it continues to go well :)

Emily Busath Murdock said...

This sounds like a good way to get it done. I'm proud of you--you have the enthusiasm that I lack about losing weight. I wish you all the success in the world!!!!

Jamie said...

Yay - good for you!