Wednesday, September 24, 2008

All it takes is faith and trust. . . . and a little bit of pixie dust!


Okay, so one of my most favorite things about being a mom is creating magical moments for my children. I know that some people think that they are helping their children by not letting them believe in mythical characters like Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy. However, I am a firm believer that childhood should have magical moments and that the saying "It is better to have love and lost than to have never loved at all" applies here. Yes, my children may be sad when they find out that the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause aren't real, but they will have great memories of a time when they thought that they were!
So let me share with you Anne's little "run in" with the Tooth Fairy. Anne lost her tooth this past weekend while we were out of town and she was so excited to put her tooth under her pillow because she wanted the Tooth Fairy to come. Well, being completely forgetful, the Tooth Fairy forgot to exchange her tooth for a Loonie. Anne was really sad and disappointed that she hadn't come, so I told her to put the tooth under her pillow again and that the Tooth Fairy would come. Needless to say, the Tooth Fairy forgot again and I again had a disappointed daughter. I felt bad, but I did remember while she was at school that the Tooth Fairy needed to come. And she needed to apologize!
So, while Anne was at school yesterday, I wrote up a note all in purple for her (using fairy printing, of course and not my own printing) from the Tooth Fairy saying that she was sorry that she had forgotten to come and get Anne's tooth but that she had forgotten because right now was her busiest time of year because lots of children get their teeth knocked out on the school playgrounds and can Anne please forgive her? I then added some extra fine purple glitter swirls to the note and I put it on her pillow. I put a Toonie under her pillow, and because I knew that Anne would like it, I sprinkled some piles of purple glitter onto her pillow (it caused a bit of a mess, but Anne thought it was worth it).
When Anne came home, I pulled her aside and I told her that I needed her to go up to her room and check her bed to make sure that all of her stuffed animals were still there because earlier in the day I had heard a bit thump and it sounded like someone was moving around in Anne's room. She first asked me if it could have been Caroline or Dustin or the dog or the cat, and I assured her that they were all downstairs when I had heard the noise. Well, that scared Anne enough to go running upstairs to go check and see if everything was alright.
I stayed downstairs because I don't think that I could have hidden my huge grin as she found the note from the Tooth Fairy, but two seconds later she was running back downstairs. She found me in the den and she was so giddy. She was hopping up and down and giggling and smiling and dancing around and she told me that I needed to come upstairs quickly. When I asked her what was missing and pretended to sound really concerned, she assured me that everything was alright and that I needed to see something on her pillow. So I went upstairs to "check things out" and she climbed up to her bed (she is on the top bunk of the bunk bed now) and pointed to the note and the "fairy dust" and explained that the Tooth Fairy had finally come. I asked her to read me the note and she did. Then she proceeded to show me the fairy dust while speculating on how it got there. I asked her if she had checked to see if the Tooth Fairy had left her a Loonie, and she said that she hadn't even looked (she was too excited about the note and the fairy dust to even think about the money). So, I checked under her pillow for her and there was a Toonie instead of a Loonie. I explained to Anne that the Tooth Fairy had left her twice as much as she usually did and Anne was so excited. Then as we were getting ready to leave Anne's room, Abby found a quarter on the floor. (I have NO idea how that got there, I think that Anne's money jar must have gotten knocked over because I certainly didn't put it there) and both of the girls swore that it was from the Tooth Fairy. When I asked how the Tooth Fairy could have dropped a quarter, Anne's eyes opened wide and she explained to me her theory. You see, according to Anne the big Thump that I heard must have been the tooth fairy dropping her bag of money and so that was why there was fairy dust on her pillow and there was a quarter on the floor. To test that theory, the girls hunted all over Anne's room to see if there was more money, and they actually found about 3 more pennies (hooray for knocked over money jars).
So that was the talk of the entire evening. And this morning, before Anne went to school she made sure that she took her note from the Tooth Fairy to show to the other kids in her class.
Now, just try to tell me that there isn't something wonderful and exciting about believing in mythical characters. . . . .I won't believe you!!!

2 comments:

Lahni said...

Ha ha! That is so cute!

Jamie said...

Aw - so fun! I totally agree about creating magic for children. I can't wait to play tooth fairy!