Thursday, September 18, 2008

On a day much like this one, 10 years ago . . .

it started off overcast and a bit rainy and windy, but I hardly noticed it. All I could think about was "Today is the day!!!!" The drive down to Cardston seemed to stretch on FOREVER!! And I wasn't allowed to sit back in my seat because it would wreck my hair!! That was okay, a small sacrifice to make because today was MY WEDDING DAY!!! I'm sure that my mom was STRESSED, but I didn't have a care in the world. I didn't care that it was about to rain, or that the wind was blowing really hard or that we were on a tight timetable because we were having the reception in Calgary that night. I was getting married!! I was marrying my Big Guy!!!
The temple ceremony seemed to be really quick and when it was done I couldn't stop smiling. I remember coming down into the waiting room where all of my bridesmaids were waiting and my cousin Michelle came up to me and said, "That was quick! Did you say no or something?" I still laugh whenever I think about her saying that to me! I also remember my 8 year old little sister, Kristin just crying and crying and when I asked her what was wrong she said that she was sad because she was just starting to get to know me and now I wouldn't be living with her anymore. (4 days later she called me at my new place to ask me if she could go over to her neighbour's house and I had to tell her that it was okay with me, but that she should now probably ask my mom because I didn't live there anymore.) I remember endless pictures (which I now treasure!!) and I couldn't stop smiling because standing right beside me was my studly, big, handsome man who was now my husband. He was so tall and he was so cute and he had the bluest eyes I had ever seen and the whitest hair I had ever seen and the HUGEST (I know it's not a word) dimples!!! (I always tell him that I married him for his dimples. . . . it may be partially true!!)
After the endless pictures I got changed and Otto and I went through the Drive-Thru at Dairy Queen and then headed home to Calgary. No, we didn't stop for any "pitstops" on the way back to Calgary because I am kind of a stickler for schedules and we were on a tight one . . . and we were excited for that night (totally worth it WOOT WOOT!!!). Once in Calgary, it began to rain. And when I say rain, I mean RAIN!!!!! Wow!! I didn't think it could rain so much at once! Then it was off to the studio for more pictures and then onto the church for a quick dinner before the reception started.
I remember endless people coming through the line and seeing all of my friends and family and the people that I grew up with. I remember one lady coming through the line wearing sweatpants, which I kind of thought was a little bit strange, but hey gotta love it right?? My Dad had the privilege of standing next to my Mother-In-Law and he later told me that when there was a lull in the line she leaned over and asked him "Do you know why people have brown eyes?" As the next people started to get closer to them he replied, "No". And just before the people got to them to shake their hands she said, "Because they're so full of S***!" My dad said he had to contain himself from laughing because now he was shaking people's hands and introducing them to her. I remember holding my 2 year old nephew Spencer (he loved me, what can I say?) for most of the night and because we didn't have a wedding cake and the photographer wanted to get pictures of us eating dessert, we exchanged lemon tarts. . . . for my 50th Anniversary I will get a cake! I remember getting made fun of because the slideshow just had pictures of me in it, but there were (and still are) NO pictures of Otto from when he was a child. He is the baby and so I guess he just kind of got looked over. (Don't worry, my kids don't have the same problem!!)
After the reception we went to get into our car and Otto's brother had had some fun and completely decorated it! Otto was MAD!!! He just wanted to leave and so he started throwing Oreo cookies all over the parking lot (which my parents later told me they got the privilege of cleaning up!!). We then had to get gas at the gas station across the street and Otto had to tell everyone that he met that we had just gotten married! So we ended up being at the gas station for like 15 minutes because people had to keep congratulating us!
We stayed at the Sheraton Cavalier that night and then the next day we left for our lengthy 2 day honeymoon in . . . . wait for it . . . . wait for it . . . . yep, that's right. . . . Glenwood, AB. Where is that you ask? EXACTLY!!! That is where my Great-Grandparent's farm is and we stayed there all weekend and came home on Monday because Otto had school and let's face it, we were POOR!!! We had $0, but we were sure happy! That's okay though because I always said that we would take our real honeymoon on our 10 year anniversary when we would really need it. And well, this coming May we will be going to Chile so I will finally get the honeymoon that I have always wanted.
So fast-forward through 10 years and 5 babies and 1 still born, 1 basement suite, 6 months of living at my parent's house, University student housing, our first little house and now our nice house, 2 job lay offs, 1 year of post-partum depression, a dog and a cat later and we are still happily married, totally in love and best friends. Now what more can you ask for???
I love you honey!! Happy 10 year Anniversary!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there were 2 dogs, and some fish along the way. And you missed six months in the condo with the creepy neighbour.

Michelle said...

Heh. I remember sitting in the temple waiting room - I saw everybody go up to the sealing room. Then Kari went to the bathroom. Before she was even finished, the whole group of you came back down. She came out of the bathroom and said, "so, did I miss anything?" and I just shrugged and said, "Well, Megan apparently got married."

Yeah, it was fast. Funny that I asked you if you said no...I don't remember that, but it does sound like me.

Anyway, happy anniversary!

Lahni said...

WHAT!? No pictures????
Congrats on 10 years! Amazing.

The Mom said...

And here I thought having your pregnant aunt and her brood up was the highlight of your day :) LOL

Congrats on 10 years and Happy Anniversary!!

Emily Busath Murdock said...

What a fun and sweet story. Thanks for sharing that, Megan. Congrats on lasting 10 years, here's to 10 million more! :)
Love you both!

Suzanne Lee said...

Happy Anniversary! That was fun to read :) When are you goign to Chile again?

Suzanne Lee said...

Happy Anniversary! That was fun to read :) When are you goign to Chile again?

ehjenn said...

Hey Megan. I just found your blog. Good read. I am thrilled to hear you are all well. Hope it all continues. Congrats on 10 yrs, that is wonderful.
Missed you guys at the family reunions this summer. Hope to see you next yr.
Jenn Ehlert

Mandy said...

Congratulations on 10 amazing years! I'm sure you'll make the next 10 even better!