Thursday, October 2, 2008

Do I always think the best of others???

This is something that I have been thinking about recently. You see awhile ago I got in trouble because someone PERCEIVED that I was having other people do all of my work for me when that wasn't the case. I had no idea that people were doing things for me, and that they were doing it because they were bored and genuinely wanted to help me out. This person thought that because of who I was that I had thought that I expected everyone else to do everything for me.
Okay, so after getting in trouble because this person was extremely offended and had to tell their boss about it I realized two things:
1 - It is very easy to think that people are doing things that we don't approve of because we believe that they think that they are better than us.
2 - It is wrong to think #1 because MOST OF THE TIME people aren't genuinely trying to do anything wrong and if we continue to think that they are we will be a miserable person.

I know that I am guilty of thinking the same way as #1, and my feelings have gotten hurt in the past, but I know that if I sit down and really unbiasely look at a situation, putting all emotions aside, I can come out realizing that the situation probably wasn't what I perceived it to be and then I can let go of my angry and hurt feelings.
I figured that this was something that teenagers often struggled with and it has surprised me to see it happening in my adult life. This whole situation has made me wonder if people actually see me as a monster or if certain people are just choosing to be offended by everything that I do because they see me as a threat.

What do YOU think????

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you should read this book here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576753344/bookstorenow600-20

It discusses a lot of what I would say, only more eloquently - it's written by my favorite philosophy prof at BYU.

Ashley Dawn said...

I would say that you're totally a monster - jks. It's funny how you think people will grow out of things when they reach adulthood and it somehow just becomes more severe. It's good to try to overcome it though because, even if it doesn't make any difference to anyone else....it will to you, right? Way to take the high road!!

Suzanne Lee said...

Have you ever read the Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis? Your post reminded me of that.
I loved your comment in my blog, how you said you've been so good! haha thanks a million Megan.