Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fun Family Fun

Okay, so I have to start this post out by telling you what I found out today. It's gay pride week here in San Diego. . . totally explains my experience yesterday!!! The other thing I wanted to start off by saying is directed at my cousins. . . I totally miss you guys and I wish that you could all be down here!! Things just aren't the same without talking about Grandma Buns, having Amber direct us in a lip-sync, and making fun of Michelle only eating roast beef and potatoes at dinner. I am, however, excited to be around all of the family that is down here.
This morning we took our kids and my dad and sisters and my Uncle Garry and Aunt Judi out with us to go try this restaurant downtown. It was kind of fun to have breakfast with such a large brood of Lees! Then Otto and I spent an hour searching for a Walmart (not the most fun that I have had on my trip) because I needed to get some groceries and Otto insisted that it be at Walmart (I have mentioned that it is the most magical place on earth for Otto right?). After Walmart we met our cousins at the church. It was great! It was fun to see some of my relatives that I haven't seen in a long time. The reunion that we are at right now (the reason that we actually planned our trip to San Diego) is the Wright Family Reunion. Basically it is for all of the descendants of George and Laura Wright. They had 4 kids Ron, Carol (my grandma), Jolene and Vestal. Uncle Ron had 14 kids, my grandma had 5 kids, Aunt Jolene had 3 kids and I believe that Vestal had 6 or 7, I can't really remember. Out of those kids the people that are here are Derek and his wife and kids from Uncle Ron's family. There are my 3 uncles (Mike, Darren and Garry) and my dad and most of Mike and Darren's kids (with the exception of missionaries and Ryan and his wife) and my Uncle Garry's kids are . . . *sniff, sniff* missing in action also. My Uncle Doug's family isn't here also, and I am totally missing their sense of humor. It just isn't the same without the Ausmus' to liven the place up. From my Aunt Jolene's family her two daughters are here with their spouses and some of their kids, and her son's children are also here. And from Vestel's family I know that his oldest daughter Jennifer is here with her kids and I believe he may even have his youngest son here too, but I could be mistaken (it's rare but it happens.).
So, there are people to play with and things to catch up on, and we did get a head's start this evening when we all gathered at Mission Bay and had a Mexican Fiesta dinner complete with a pinata for dessert. The kiddies LOVED playing on the beach, but mostly they LOVED playing with my cousin Tiffany and my other cousin's daughter Adri. It was actually so cute to watch Dustin and Adri play together. I actually think that Dustin is a bit smitten with Adri and I don't think that she minded being mischievous with Dustin either. . . . I will have to keep an eye on that little guy. . . he may grow up to cause some problems being a ladies man and all! Abby also loved Adri and acted as though Adri was her own little girl. She played with her on the slides and in the sand and directed her as to where she could and couldn't go. It was so fun to watch how Abby interacted with Adri because that was how I was with little kids when I was her age.
Anne and Caroline think that Tiffany is the most wonderful, coolest and exciting person they have ever met. Ever since they saw each other at the lunch this afternoon they have wanted to do everything together. I was worried about how they would react to the fact that they wouldn't be able to sleep with Tiffany tonight, and luckily they were too distracted by the pinata that they didn't seem to notice.
Well, now that we are starting our family reunion we are planning on spending some time getting to know our cousins better. I had so much fun at the Wright family reunions when I was growing up that I was excited to participate in this one. Tomorrow will be a day spent at the beach and playing together and ending off the evening with a fire on the beach. . . I look forward to it!

0 comments: