Sunday, July 20, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I know I just wrote about yesterday, but I feel as though I need to finish off my traveling posts by writing about our experience flying home. We got up at the early hour of 4:30 am and got the kiddies dressed, got checked out of our hotel and returned our rental car. Then we got to the airport and things started to change. When we arrived we were told that our flight had been canceled due to some mechanical problems. That made me very nervous because Otto has his Professional Engineering exam tomorrow and I have 5 kids and I wasn't to eager to be stuck at an airport all day. When I got up to the girl at the ticket kiosk she said that she had some good news and some bad news and which one did I want to hear first. I said bring on the bad news. She then reinformed me that my flight had indeed been canceled, but that they had reserved us seats on a flight out of San Diego to LA (we originally were going to fly through Denver) and then switch to Air Canada and fly to Calgary. The plain would take off at the same time and get us into Calgary at the same time, but it was a commuter plane and so we had to take all of our luggage and enter at a different terminal (which you could only get to by bus). Heck, if that was the worst news that I heard all day I was going to be happy. So we got to the commuter terminal and hopped onto a tiny airplane (we got to load the airplane from the tarmack which was a first for me) and flew to LA. Once in L.A. we fed the kiddies breakfast and had a little bathroom break and while I was doing that Otto heard our name get called by the gate people. So when I came back they were frantically trying to fix something with the tickets that the other girl had messed up and I was getting nervous because they had announced the final boarding call, and they finally let us board the plane. Can I just say what a difference it was to fly on an Air Canada plane after being on United???? The plane was bigger so there was lots of leg room and the seats had the little TV's on the backs of them with movies, games, tv shows, and mp3's. And, because the flight wasn't full, I got to take Lee onto the plane in his carseat and so he just laid in his carseat and slept for the entire flight.
Once we got home, we breezed through customs, our baggage appeared to land on our baggage cart right before our eyes, and we walked right on out to our van which was waiting for us in our primo parking spot. It was wonderful and almost surreal that the flights went that smoothly considering the rocky start that we had had.
So now our trip to San Diego is nothing more than a mere memory. It was really fun and really exciting, and I totally want to live there, except that I kind of missed my house and I definatly missed being near my sister when she had her sweet little baby. I missed attending my ward and seeing my friends and I so excited to not have to share my bedroom with 5 little kids any more!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!
So for now all I have to say (in the words of Jenna who was quoting this all weekend). . . . Stay Classy San Diego!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Glad to hear you got home OK and with such luck! :)

Lahni said...

Isn't it nice to come home? It's sad to leave vacation land but I always love coming home.